The Lord

They hurried, indeed, to the cathedral's plaza. There was light in just one shop, one that Barmond had already noticed: Themel's Fruit and Vegetables. The front of the store was covered in a white cloth and whoever was inside moved across that canvas like Chinese theatre shadows.

Hugo knocked twice and just entered, not waiting for an answer. Barmond followed suit.

"Oh, Hugo," said the owner, a wood elf - the titular Themel, Barmond guessed. "Oh, business? Got time for a drink?"

Themel was a wood elf, that much was obvious when seen from close. Tan-skinned, fair hair, long delicate ears and slit eyes, it was all there. There was a second person there too, a (seemingly) human woman. She was extremely attractive, with a dark head of hair and lashes for miles, and the straps of her dress seemed to have neglectfully slipped over the side of her shoulder. She smiled at Hugo and gave him a long blink, very much like a cat saluting the human it deigned share its territory with, but ignored Barmond.

It wasn't as if he was interested in a succubus' attention anyway, inwardly scoffed the forgotten vampire.

"No, but thank you for the invitation," said Hugo. "I'll leave you two to your fun."

"You wouldn't be intruding," said the woman.

"Maybe another time, Rosa," said Hugo.

He stepped towards the back of the shop, but Barmond didn't follow. He was looking at Themel. The latter looked back, his slit pupils thinning after he had caught sight of Hugo. He tilted his head.

"Can I help you?" he asked.

Should he tell him? Oh, and what the heck. They were supposedly on the same side. (And maybe, he did want to both flex his abilities and shock the owner.)

"You should close your washroom window when you are in your shop," said Barmond. "Especially if you're not going to check on what is happening upstairs."

Themel paused, then frowned. "But it's a small window... Wait-- How do you know?"

Barmond flashed him a tight smile, the type of smile that didn't reach his eyes. He moved towards Hugo, that was also watching him with a smile - a wider one than his own. The moment Barmond had his back turned to the elf, he became serious once more.

Hugo led him through the back, and then to the cellar. Except that this cellar wasn't used to store food, but a passage. They went through the door in the back.

"So, you've been spying on Themel too?" asked Hugo.

"Maybe."

"Does this have anything to do with that rope that was in your cabinet back at your room?"

Barmond didn't answer that question.

"If Ranphoros ask, will you answer that question?"

"If he asks. I shall see then."

Hugo chuckled.

"I really don't see what's so funny," said Barmond.

"You're funny."

"I'm not."

"You are. You're quite spunky."

"Ah, yes. You did say that you liked challenges. Yet another reason for lord Ranphoros to not let us work together."

"Maybe you're right. He can't afford to have me too distracted."

"Precisely. Or you could leave me alone, unless you lack the self-control for that."