3. this is what happy looks like

Louis sighs and closes his laptop, letting chills run down his spine, smile slowly appearing in his face.

It's been a good couple of months, Louis thinks. It's amazing how in a few months, he has developed a friendship through e-mails.

Friendship? Well, that's what it looks like. Even though, Louis can't deny he's feeling something else towards this... boy. For fuck sakes. He's not even sure he is a boy.

But he likes it. Whatever this is, he damn likes it. And he would be lying if he says he's not waiting either on the computer or his phone for an e-mail. Because he is. Every damn minute of every damn hour of every damn day. Since it began.

"Love, dinner is getting cold!"

"M' going!"

Louis stands from the bed and pushes himself away from his laptop, knowing that even if he decides to answer, he will get a notification on his phone.

"There you are love," Jay, Louis' mom, says. "I thought maybe you didn't want to have dinner. Even if it's your special today; lasagna."

"Mom, you know I never miss dinner here at Thursdays because of that."

Jay chuckles at that, because duh, he's right. See, everyday, Jay cooks something different. But there are traditions.

Like every first Sunday of the month, Jay and Louis get breakfast at the Waffle House in their PJs. Every Wednesday, whenever it's not chilly or cold, they go and get an ice-cream cone, around 6 pm when the sun is setting down and the stars and the moon start shinning; and if it's cold, or the weather it's not appropriate for ice-cream, they would go for hot cocoa instead. At least twice a month, on Fridays or Saturdays, they go together to the cinema. Or every Thursday for example, they eat lasagna, because it's only Louis' favorite and he likes it very much.

So yeah, they have traditions and it's a beautiful routine. Because it's only them, Louis and Jay. And it's nice. Most of the time. And not only that, but they only have each other, so there's that too.

"Well, you know Lou, I've been watching a few changes on you," Jay says, grabbing her plate and putting some lasagna and salad in it.

"Changes?" Louis says, already taking his plate to get lasagna too.

"Yeah," Jay says, "You changed the flavor of your tea for example. You are starting to wear socks with your shoes. You are starting to play piano again, although that one is nice."

And yeah, now that Jay says it, she's right. Only because H told Louis that his favorite tea flavor is mint, so he had to try it, okay? And well, H also suggested to Louis that he should wear socks because he might get a cold, even though it's summer. And okay, maybe H said he likes the piano. So what? Those changes are not harmful, right?

"Well, sometimes it's good to get out of the routine, you know mom? Maybe we should do it once," Louis says, not really looking at her, but trying to grab lasagna with his fork.

"Oh, so you're telling me you want changes now? How about I stop cooking lasagna then?"

"DON'T YOU DARE!" Louis shouts almost immediately.

Jay laughs at that, her eyes crinkling, Louis joining her only after calming down, because it was totally overreacted. He is always being dramatic. It's just how he is.

"See? We are fine with routines. We don't need changes. Our life is simple and calm, as it's supposed to be," Jay says serious now, looking at Louis and taking her glass of water.

"I guess so," Louis only whispers, because well, if things had been a little different since the beginning, maybe life wouldn't be so... boring. Sometimes.