Chapter 5

From across the room, a deep voice boomed. Who I assumed was the king, sat at the end of the room, but instead of the seats form the fairytales,  there was an elegant loveseat. He sat there with a woman on his inside, wrapped around his arm, the other hand holding a glass. "Welcome to my palace, Julia." He announced my presence, making me nervous. "I am King Jean Maxwell. This is my beloved wife, Cheryl Maxwell." The woman smiled kindly at me, but it didn't reach her cold eyes. "It's a pleasure to meet you." She sang. I could tell that she was lying, but I decided it was either I play along or end up dead. "The pleasure is mine." A said softly, giving them a small bow.

"You aren't trembling in fear? We are all vampires, you know." The king looked at me, a wicked look in his eyes. "Oh, I am terrified, your majesty." I admitted calmly, though I might be lying if I said I wasn't amused. "You should be, I haven't had dinner yet." His stare only got more intense, but it didn't faze me. "With all due respect, if you wanted to eat me, I wouldn't be here." I started calmly. For a moment, there was silence, then he started laughing, which threw me off guard. "How entertaining, right boys?" He looked over to the side of me, and I saw three boys approaching. I jumped, not being able to sense their presence bothering me.

There were 2 men there. A tall, peach fuzz, build albino, with bright golden eyes and red hair, and next to him was that littel girl from before, who looked exactly like him, though her hair was slightly darker. Next to them was a slightly shorter albino, with green eyes and blond brown hair which resembled the queen's; he wasn't particularly muscular, but he looked stronger then me by far. Then again, these people were vampires.

I looked around the room, speaking when I wasn't talking to. "Oh," I started, "I was told there were three of them." The King leaned back, looking like what i just said caused him a migraine. "Oh, that boy." The queen muttered, and i could see the dislike written all over her face. By now, I'd come to the conclusion that only the blonde man was her son. "We don't need to wait for him, do we?" By the time i looked down my hand was in the older man's, and he was kneeling down infront of me, his lips pressed against them. "Oh, are you the prince charming of my dreams?" I asked, feigning shock. He chuckled, getting up and looming over me, tilting my head to connect our stares. "If you choose me, I'll be more than just that."

If I'd been like other girls, I might have melted on the spot, and seeing those fangs prolly did it for me, but there was something about this man I didn't like. He smelled....off. "Sorry but my prince doesn't smell like blood." I whispered, causing the man to flinch. I thought for a minute, as I saw a violent expression, that this was really my last day, but to my surprise, the most he did was glare at me with those cold, beautiful eyes. He we stared at each other for a moment, before he decided to walk bk to his sister slowly, but when he turned bk to me, his eyes were dead set on me. "Not him." I said to myself.

I looked back to the king to see a small smile. "These are my sons. Prince Damien, the first born, Prince Ethan." I opened my mouth to say something, but closed them as I heard struggling from a corridor closer to the throne. Maybelle and another maid appeared, dragging a figure out, and oh how I recognized him. His messy brown hair and bright blue eyes that always seems to make me melt. His not so tall, but taller than me, figure I'd grown to love and hate. The boy who ran away from my house a few hours earlier, and my best friend's twin brother. "And this is-" "Gene Maxwell." I finished the king's sentence; his smile seemed to widen.
I looked at Gene. He was standing dead still, his head hung low as if to hide himself from me.

"I know, you two are very well acquainted." There was a hint of amusement in the kings voice, which I didn't like. "You'll be marrying one of my princes. Though the choice is yours, Julia Tanner."

Everyone's eyes were on me. Maybelle smiling to comfort me, Gene's eyes sad and lonely, Damien's eyes almost drawing me in, and Dixie's eyes begging me to choose her brother. Ethan's eyes looking on in boredom and the king's looking me up and down. The only person not focused of me, was the queen, staring at Ethan. Suddenly I burst out in laughter, suprising everyone in the room except Ethan. His expression never changed. "This is like, some kind of dating simulator." I giggled, raising my hand to point at one of the sons.

Gene's eyes went wide, and she shoved off the two who held him, running out of the room. My heart wavered for a bit, but I wasn't going to give into him again. "Ethan it is, then." The king said, shock still evident on his face. Ethan's eyes were also wide, taking a step back. He whipped his head to his mother's direction, and she smiled.

"As of today, Ethan and Julia are engaged!" The king pronounced. I let myself relax, my shoulders dropping. The expressionless Ethan had tightened his jaw, dropping his shoulders as well, though quickly regained his composure when his mother glared at him.

I sighed. This marriage....my new life....This was really happening? I was to marry....a creature I'd only heard of in books and stories.