October 31st, 2014 - Ghostface, Magic Mike, and a Kitten

—5 years, 1 month, and 14 days ago—

Camden Records' Halloween party might be deadly dull. But the food can bring the dead back to life.

Mummy hot dogs, Dracula donuts, Frankenstein cupcakes. Drool pools in my mouth as I stare at the adorable, spooky eats on the buffet table in front of me. Which one should I try first?

Seeing there's only one green frosted cupcake left, I immediately reach for it. But as my fingers are about to touch the brown wrapper, my black-gloved hand bumps into a man's bloodstained, yellow-gloved one.

Startled, I yank my hand and jump backward, away from the well-built man. His hockey mask, dark olive work shirt, and black military boots tell me he's dressing up as Jason Voorhees—specifically, the one from Friday the 13th Part VI.

"Sorry." He reaches for the last Frankenstein cupcake and offers it to me. "Here. You can have it."

The chocolate sprinkles on top of the green monster's head make my mouth water. But a nagging voice of suspicion haunts my mind, preventing me from accepting Jason's kind offer.

Working at one of the biggest record companies in Los Angeles has been a dream come true. But it comes with a price. Three weeks in this city have made me a bit paranoid, and now, I can't help but question everyone's motive. What if he's only acting nice? What if he only wants to mock me behind my back like that racist witch?

My eyes dart to the chestnut-haired woman cackling like a witch with her minions near the drinks table: Nicole, the only female junior sound engineer at Camden Records who happens to be my #1 enemy.

Hmm. What if this is one of her evil schemes?

I can already think of 101 awful nicknames Nicole might come up with for me if I decide to accept this cupcake. And every one of them causes goosebumps to spring up all over my body.

Shifting my gaze back to the well-built man, I notice he has one of the kindest eyes I've ever seen. But I'm not going to take any risks. After all, Nicole seemed nice too before I accidentally drank her protein shake.

Although the last Frankenstein cupcake begs for me to eat it, I say to the man, "It's okay, you can have it. I'll wait for the next batch."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Thanks." His captivating steel-blue eyes twinkle with delight. "Hey, I'm Ol—"

The buzzing of a phone interrupts him, and he pulls his phone from his right pocket. As he glances at the caller ID, a cloud of anxiety replaces the light in his eyes.

"Sorry, I gotta take this. It's nice to meet you, Ghostface." There's a genuine appreciation in his voice when he mentions my costume, and I smile at that.

"Nice to meet you too, Jason."

He shoots me a salute and turns around before he accepts the call. "Mrs. Clark, hi. Yeah, I know, I know. I'll wire the money by the end of the week. I promise—"