November 23rd, 2017 [Part Two] - The Three-Legged Cat

I stare at the two plane tickets I'm holding

I stare at the two plane tickets I'm holding. I can't believe I spent $2,000 on these.

Although my career has been taking off over the past few months, I've never been swirling in more debts than now.

Being the boyfriend of Celia Adams costs a lot.

Celia always offers to pay for the expensive tuxedos I have to wear to those fancy events she's invited to. But my stupid ego forces me to reject her offer every single time. As a result, not only do I have to cut my other expenses—such as food—I also haven't been able to pay rent over the past two months.

If this goes on, I might die of starvation.

Or worse. Get evicted.

Heaving out a sigh, I tuck the plane tickets between the pages of my passport and zip up my suitcase. I'm about to head to the door when the sudden ringing of my phone halts me. A smile tugs at the corners of my mouth as I glance at the caller ID.

Miss Mochi

"Hey. Found Kiki yet?"

Nessa always leaves her stray cat under my care every time she needs to go back to her hometown for the holiday. At first, I just left the food in the back alley and ran as fast as I could the moment that little monster arrived. But after three years of feeding her, I have to admit she's starting to grow on me.

I was initially worried when Nessa said Kiki hadn't shown up in five days. But now that she's calling me during Kiki's lunchtime, I figure the prodigal daughter has finally returned after all.

"W-where are you? Are you still home? When's your flight? Oh, are you at the airport already?" The panic in Nessa's voice rings an alarm in my head.

"Hey, hey, hey. Calm down. My flight's not for another three hours. What's wrong?"

"It's Kiki. She's been in an accident. Sh-she . . ." The sound of her loud breathing resonates through the phone. "She lost her leg."

The news drops like a bomb in my head.

I want to believe this is one of Nessa's outrageous jokes, but the sheer panic in her voice tells me she's dead serious. Her soft sobs snap me back to my senses, and I realize I should pull myself together for her.

". . . and I'm just trying to get her to the vet, but none of those damn cab drivers want to take her without a pet carrier. So, I was just wondering—"

"I'm on my way. Just calm down, okay?" Holding the phone between my ears and my shoulder, I grab my suitcase and my car key before rushing to the front door.

"O-okay. Thanks, Ol."

"Don't mention it." As I lock the door to my apartment, I feel the urge to console her. "Hey, Ness?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't worry." I try to keep my voice soothing and controlled. "Everything's gonna be fine."