10 - social distancing

You weren't too keen on socializing anyways, so social distancing wasn't a problem for you at all. You never visited or talked to your family, who lived back in Ohio anyway. In New York, everything was great - you got to stay far away from them the way they wanted it and the way you wanted it. And although your parents and siblings were used to your absence, your friends in Queens weren't. Every night, Peter would call you to check if you were okay. You wouldn't always answer, since you'd be sleeping or just not in the mood to talk to anyone. And then, you'd just text him, saying that you were OK. You liked that he did it, and felt bad that you didn't return the favor. Well, it's not like you didn't want to do it, but since Spiderman was always on the news, you figured he was doing okay. Apparently, burglars and weapon dealers found it a good time to do their crimes, when social distancing was a thing. And you found it was actually quite clever.

It had been a month since you had seen anyone. You were just staying in your tiny apartment, doing your online schoolwork, and then you'd just put on some random show on Netflix, for you to doze off to. Before closing your eyes to sleep to the sound of a weird show you couldn't even name, you heard your phone buzz. You sighed hugely and looked at it. Peter.

"Peter, I'm good, thanks for calling" you said abruptly. "Well I'm not," Peter sighed "I miss being around you". "Oh," you stopped the show you weren't watching to focus on the slightly shaky breath coming from Peter, "this'll probably end in a few weeks and we'll hang out again." you said, trying to lighten the mood. You missed him too, but you were used to being alone, it was actually quite comforting for you. Peter just wasn't a loner, and he loved socializing - at least with his friends - he couldn't bother trying to talk to new people. "Can I come over?" Peter asked, hope pouring out his voice. "You know you can't do that, Peter" you said sternly. "Y/n," Peter sighed again, and you knew he was burying his hands in his face, trying not to showcase the frustration his voice was experiencing. "can we at least FaceTime? We haven't done that in a year." Yes, you hadn't done that in a year, and there was a reason for that. You took your time to hang out with Peter and a few other friends, and then you were done, you couldn't handle anymore. You just always grew up, knowing that you weren't meant to be close to anyone or to open up to anyone, because that would hurt you. The closest thing you had was Peter, and so you'd always consider going the extra mile for him, but it wouldn't always be the case. And when he told you he was Spiderman, you got scared of getting too close, and started distancing yourself. You were just bad at being a good friend.

A minute passed, and Peter, being the friend he was, figured that you were thinking about where your limits were, even though it sounded so bizarre that a FaceTime would be so horrible, especially with your best friend, but Peter knew how you felt about it, and so he left you to think.
"Yeah, sure" you said nervously. You always looked so bad on camera.

"Heeey!" Peter waved at your face on the screen. "Hi" you said shyly, trying to hide the smile on your lips, caused by finally seeing Peter's face. "Okay I've actually missed seeing your face," you admitted "glad we're doing this". "aha! I knew it, y/n!" Peter said with a huge smile, pointing at the camera. After a few minutes of laughing with Peter, talking about his adventures of being Spiderman, you looked at your own face on the screen and said "wow, I really don't look good, huh?" you said with actual chock in your voice, not realizing that you didn't care that Peter was seeing it. "Well, remember that time you forced me to put makeup on you?" Peter said, smiling, and you nodded, a smile too growing on your face, "Yeah I've seen worse" and in that you two both chuckled, and you instantly felt better.

As the time went on, night was crawling in, but the both of you didn't want to end the call. Still in his Spiderman suit, Peter and you brushed your teeth on FaceTime together, and you had a secret little FaceTime photoshoot, and got the best photo of Peter brushing his teeth. When he realized you were taking screenshots, you two started to just go crazy and tried to get weird photos of each other. It was silly, but you felt liberated and you hadn't laughed like that in a long time, whilst not even worrying about how you looked while laughing or if you were laughing too loudly, because - simply - Peter didn't care.

Now you were both chilling in your beds, not really talking, but just having each other's company to your comfort. Peter was playing music from his laptop, trying to write the last to his essay he had due tomorrow, and suddenly, the weirdest song came on. "What is that Peter?" you chuckled. Peter was zoned out, focused on his essay, before his eyes lit up as his smile grew bigger, and he looked at you on the screen. "Oh," he snorted, "that's Yodeler's Dance. It's also my ringtone." You just laughed at how ludicrous the situation was, before asking, "How did we ever become friends?" toning your voice in seriousness, "we're so different." And as if singing in a choir with the Peter voice you had in your head, Peter said "We're like charged ions. Opposite charges attract." Peter said smiling, knowing that you had heard him saying that so many times, that you had recited it in your mind. Peter closed his laptop, and you two just hanged out, not really saying much for a while. "Thank you," you finally blurted out, "today has been the best quarantine day ever." "I figured," Peter said softly, giving a weak chuckle, "I'm great, you know. I'm Spiderman." you both chuckled a little, not really having the energy to actually laugh.

"Goodnight, y/n" Peter whispered. "'night" you answered instantly, now not even looking at the screen, but staring at the ceiling, ready to sleep. You both hung up and before you both dozed off to sleep like stones, you sent Peter the screenshot you got of him brushing his teeth.

 You both hung up and before you both dozed off to sleep like stones, you sent Peter the screenshot you got of him brushing his teeth

Got you

Damn that's a bad photo of me 

I know 😏