one.

DISTURBANCE!
CHAPTER ONE.
are we safe now?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

HER PALE AND DRY-BLOODED HANDS WEAVED SOFTLY THROUGH HER BOYFRIEND'S DARK BROWN CURLS AS GENTLE AS A LAMB WHILE HE SLEPT WITH HIS HEAD PERCHED ON HER LAP. How the boy could even find it in himself to sleep the horrors away with the background noise of the whirring helicopter they were currently all in, she had no idea . . . but the sight of him getting rest earned no complaints.

Rita wasn't sure how long they had been up in the sky, and she didn't care. As long as she was far away from those dreaded walls she had been trapped in for what felt like forever, she was not one to start complaining anytime soon.

The dark-haired girl made sure the wood carving perched beside the teenage couple didn't fall out as she stared at it, tears pricking her eyes at the thought of the young boy who should be with them right now. All she could repeat in her head with how sorry she was for young Chuck, and how much she already missed his adorable chubby face and smile that brightened up her day each time she saw it. It would never be the same without him.

"How the hell is this shank sleeping?" When she looked across from her and the boy, Minho was staring at the other Runner weirdly as his eyebrows knitted together in a somewhat judging jealousy.

In an answer, Rita shrugged her shoulders and continued to pet the boy's matted but still soft hair. "Must've passed out from the exhaustion, I guess." She looks back up towards the Asian boy. "It's not like any of us have had a good nights sleep in awhile."

"Yeah," a deep huff arose from Newt, the British boy sitting up slightly in the corner he was in as he ran a hand through his dirty blonde locks. His deep chocolate-brown eyes trained on the beyond. "Let's at least hope wherever we're going has better hammocks."

The sky was dark when they finally flew closer and closer to a huge, industrial building littered with lights in the middle of the dessert, stars lighting their path. All Gladers turned to gape at the facility, wondering what all of this could mean for them. Was this it? Was this them finally getting one step closer to going home- properly home?

The force of the helicopter lowering made sand nip at Rita's face, the teen squinting to protect her green eyes. Eventually, a thump signalled they were no longer in the airborne and had arrived at their destination.

People must've obviously been alerted of their arrival beforehand as masked workers ran out of the giant building to their aid. The men in the helicopter wasted no time in pushing the Gladers out, leaving all teens to stumble blindly in the sand.