seven.

DISTURBANCE!
CHAPTER SEVEN.
a fragile thing.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

THE MIND CAN BE A FRAGILE THING WHEN YOU STOP TO THINK ABOUT IT. Just one mental and/or physical thing can have it running circles to the temperature of a thousand scorching flames around you. It can be so strong- yet so week to the point it was almost humorous to some. This situation, however, was no laughing matter in the slightest.

Rita let out the softest of groans as her body swayed slightly in it's upside down state, the rest of her friends in the same position. Thick rope was tied taunt around their ankles, forcing their feet together as it held them all up like an animal in a butchers. They could practically feel the blood that used to be stored around their bodies rushing into the chambers of their minds, their heads all feeling heavy

"Good plan, Thomas. 'Just hear what the man has to say'. Really working out for us," Minho mocked weakly as his hands hung over his head like the rest.

"Oh, shut up, Minho." Thomas grunted in reply, finding the familiar mop of long-brown hair amongst the group. Thankfully, she was close enough for him to reach out and tenderly brush their fingertips together. The action caused a flinch out of the girl, the boy sending her a small smile of apology. "Sorry. Are you okay? You've been quite quiet- more so than usual."

Rita ignored his question, her eyes casting downwards to the deep depths of the black hole that would be their downfall- literally- if the ropes were to no longer support them. The mere thought made her stomach feel light with fear as it twisted and lurched. "I told you." She whispered quietly, the silence amongst the group allowing it to be heard. "I told you I had a bad feeling about this place."

Thomas felt guilty, for he knew she was right. If he had just stopped to listen and hear not only his girlfriend, but his friends out too . . . then maybe they all wouldn't be hanging upside down with nothing but ropes basically keeping them alive. "I know, I know. I'm sorry."

"They-They're gonna sell us back to WICKED, I know it." Rita's lips came with a tremble due to the fear of what highly awaited them. A sob tore through the quiet, hollow building as many Gladers watched their friend wail out. "I-oh god, we're going back. W-We can't go back, Tommy. You- You can't go back to them."

"Hey, baby, calm down." Thomas coaxed gently when he saw his girlfriend's breathing beginning to spiral, knowing that being held upside down could possibly put her more at risk. "They're not going to take us back, okay? I won't let them. We're going to be fine. I'll get us out of here, I promise."

"No. No, you don't understand." The girl with her hair hanging thickly over her face shook her head limply, feeling her head pound as she hang there helplessly. "H-He can't get us. J-Janson. H-He can't-"