The Afternoon

"Dr. Reid? Dr. Reid?"

Spencer awoke to a woman calling his name. It took him a moment to realize where he was. He blinked the sleep from his eyes, looking up at her.

"I have to do an ultrasound on your daughter," She said, "do you mind waking her up?"

"What happened to Rebecca?" Spencer asked.

"Her shift's over, I'm Kathy," she didn't look up from preparing the ultrasound. "Well, are you going to wake her up?"

"Yeah, hold on." Kate was still curled tightly against his chest.

"Kate, honey, you have to wake up," he said, stroking her hair gently. She groaned softly, her eyes fluttering open.

"Daddy?" She asked.

"Hey sweetheart."

"Daddy my tummy hurts," she said, tears running down her face. Seeing her like this made Spencer want to cry too.

"I know, honey, I'm sorry. The doctors and nurses are going to take care of you, but we have to be patient." Spencer wiped her tears away and gave her a kiss on the forehead. "I have to get up and give your nurse room, but I promise I will be right here."

Spencer moved to kneel on the floor on the opposite side of the bed as Kathy was on. He held Kate's hand tightly between both of his, rubbing soothing circles into her knuckles.

"Okay Kate, I'm gonna do an ultrasound. I have to lift up your gown to see your tummy, is that okay?" Kathy asked.

"Okay," Kate said.

"Do you know what an ultrasound is?" Kate shook her head no.

"An ultrasound is how we look inside your tummy. It's almost like taking a picture of your insides."

"Like an X-ray?" Kate asked.

"Kind of, but an X-ray only shows the bones. An ultrasound shows everything else. We use them a lot on pregnant women so we can check on their babies." Kathy explained.

As Kathy got Kate situated, Spencer's gaze wandered over to the chair Morgan had been sitting in. He was gone now, probably left while Spencer and Kate slept. Spencer hadn't expected him to stay the entire time, but part of him wished that he did.

"I have to put some gel on your tummy so the machine can check you out, it's gonna be cold but it won't hurt, okay?" Kate nodded. She winced at the gel but ultimately settled down, still squeezing Spencer's hand.

"Alright Kate, I'm going to bring the results to the doctor. She should be in to see you soon," Kathy said, then checked her watch. "You'll be able to have more medicine in an hour. Until then why don't I get dad a washcloth to clean you up with, okay?"

"Okay," Kate said.

Spencer cleaned the gel off of Kate's stomach before tucking her back under the covers. She was no longer actively crying, but a few tears still slipped out every once in a while.

"Daddy will you read me a story?" Kate asked.

"Yeah, which one do you want?" Spencer asked, pulling out the picture books Morgan had packed for her.

"I don't want one of my books, I want you to read me your book."

"Are you sure? It's in Russian. You wouldn't understand any of it."

"I like it when you speak other languages Daddy," She said.

"Okay princess. Scoot over," Spencer grabbed his book and sat down next to Kate on the bed. He began reading to her, and although she had no clue what he was saying, Kate listened intently to every word.