Surprises

"Alright Dr. Reid. You're all set to take her home," Jackie said.

"Thank you so much Jackie." Spencer sighed.

"How are you getting home?"

"Carol's parents are going to pick me up. They're also letting me have all of the baby supplies Carol had."

"Good," Jackie said with a smile.

Spencer was about to leave when Jackie called his name out.

"Spencer?"

"Yeah?"

"I know you said you didn't want to run the DNA test, but I know how hard not knowing can be, so I ran it anyway," she said.

"And? What are the results?" Spencer asked, now nervous that he wouldn't be able to take Kate with him after all.

"She's yours. No doubt about it," Jackie said.

"Alright, ready to go home?" Spencer asked Kate. It was the morning after her surgery and she had woken up a few hours prior, eager to leave the hospital.

"Yeah!" Kate exclaimed.

"Take these into the bathroom and get changed." Spencer handed her a pile of clean clothes and ushered her off to get dressed.

"You never told me what's in the folder," Morgan said when Spencer pulled out the manila folder that Morgan had brought him.

"Well it's not an exciting folder. It's all of Kate's information, birth certificate, social security card, insurance card. You know, boring stuff," Spencer said.

He opened the folder, flipping through the contents until he came across something he didn't remember putting in.

"What is it?" Morgan asked, seeing the shift in Spencer's expression.

Spencer pulled out a photograph. It was him in the hospital with Kate right after she was born. God, he looked so young then. Not that he didn't look young now, but he looked particularly young in the photo.

"Oh Spence you were a baby," Morgan cooed. "A baby with a baby."

"I can't believe seven years have passed. It's all going so fast," Spencer mused to himself. "It feels like just yesterday I was taking her home."

"Do you miss taking care of a baby?" Morgan asked.

"A little bit. I love Kate and I love that she's old enough now that we can do activities together and have conversations, but I also miss the times where she needed me."

"She still needs you Spence. Maybe not as much, but she does still need you."

"You're right," Spencer said.

Kate exited the bathroom, now dressed in her own clothes. She seemed much better now, aside from the occasional pain where her stitches were.

"Can we go home now?" She asked.

"Of course," Spencer said. "Come help me pack up your things."

Morgan and Spencer had both driven to the hospital separately, so they took their own cars back to Spencer's place. Morgan gave Spencer a peck on the cheek to say goodbye after walking him and Kate back to their car.

"I'll see you in a little bit," he said.

Kate was back to her usual self now, chatting up a storm in the backseat.

"Daddy, do you love Derek?" Kate asked. Spencer had to stop himself from turning around completely to face her.

"Why do you ask sweetheart?"