In The Morning

A knock on the door pulled Spencer's attention away from the Professor who was lecturing.

A police officer stepped inside, not waiting to be let in.

"Officer, what seems to be the problem?" She asked.

"I'm looking for a Spencer Reid," the Officer said.

Spencer raised his eyebrows. He was looking for him? He hadn't done anything wrong, at least, he didn't think he had.

"I'm here," Spencer said, still confused.

"Mind taking a ride with me son?" The Officer asked.

"Am I under arrest Officer," Spencer glanced down at his name badge. "Davis?" He asked, once they were outside the lecture hall.

"No, no you're not in any trouble," Officer Davis said. "I was sent out here to bring you to the hospital. They've been trying to call you but you didn't answer."

"I keep my phone off during lectures," Spencer took out his phone and looked at it. He had dozens of missed calls.

"Is something wrong with my mother?" Spencer asked, fear rising in his chest.

"No, your mom's fine as far as I know."

"Then why are you bringing me to the hospital?" Spencer was even more confused now.

"They'll explain it to you when we get there," Officer Davis said.

Once they were at the hospital Officer Davis lead Spencer in. They walked right past the ER and seemed to be heading towards the labor and delivery unit. That confused Spencer even further.

"Dr. Reid?" A nurse asked when they entered the unit.

"Yes, that's me."

"My name's Jackie, will you come with me? I'm afraid we have some unfortunate news."

Spencer's heart raced as he followed her into an empty room.

"Dr. Reid, I'm so sorry to have to tell you this but Carol Reeves died this morning," she said.

"Carol?" Carol had been a classmate of Spencer's but she had dropped out months ago. The two of them were friends and even slept together a few times, but he hadn't heard from her since she dropped out.

"What happened?" Spencer asked.

"She passed as a result of untreated pre eclampsia. It's likely she didn't even know she had it."

"Pre eclampsia? She was pregnant?"

"You didn't know?" Jackie asked, furrowing her brow.

"No, I haven't spoken to her in months," Spencer said. "Is the baby okay?"

"Yes, she's fine. And according to Ms. Reeves, she's yours." Jackie gave him a small smile.

Spencer's breath caught in his throat. His? How could she be his? She couldn't— oh no. He and Carol had slept together more than once. They were usually careful but one night right before finals they had both had a little too much to drink. Spencer hadn't even realized until the next morning that they forgot the condom.

Carol had assured him that it was alright, that one time wasn't going to matter. He should've known better than that. Now she was dead and he was a father.

"Can we do a DNA test? To make sure she's mine?" Spencer asked quietly.

"Of course, give me a minute," she left the room only to come back a moment later with a cotton swab and a test tube.