The Surgery

"Dr. Reid?" Jackie asked.

Spencer looked up from the baby he held in his arms for the first time since she had been placed there. She had dozed off a while ago, but Spencer couldn't bring himself to put her down.

"How are you doing?"

How was he doing? Spencer wasn't sure. He was totally overwhelmed yet immeasurably happy at the same time. It was odd, if someone had told Spencer a few months ago that he was going to be a father, he would've insisted that he couldn't, that he wouldn't be able to care for a baby. Now that he was holding her however, he knew that he would do anything to give her the best life possible.

"I don't know," Spencer answered truthfully. "I don't have a crib or a car seat or any clothes."

"You'll figure it out. No parent is completely ready their first time. Hell, I know I wasn't." She chuckled, shaking her head. "I have no doubt that you can be a great father. But there's no shame in asking for help if you need it."

"Hey," Morgan said, sitting down next to Spencer and handing him a fresh cup of coffee.

"Hey," Spencer replied. He took the coffee gratefully.

"I know you're nervous, but she's gonna be alright. She's in good hands." Morgan reached out to hold Spencer's free hand.

"It's only been a few minutes but it feels like so much longer."

"I could distract you," Morgan suggested.

"Okay, yeah," Spencer said. "But not the way you're thinking right now. Just talk to me."

"About what?"

"I don't know, anything."

Morgan thought for a moment before he had an idea.

"Wanna hear about how I knew I was in love with you?" Morgan asked. Spencer didn't respond which he took as a sign to continue.

"Remember Phillip Dowd? The L.D.S.K in Des Plaines?"

"Yeah. Hotch and I were stuck in the ER with him."

"I was terrified the entire time. All I could think about was the possibility that I was gonna lose you. It was like I was suffocating. I'd seen teammates in danger before, teammates held hostage, and I never felt that way about any of them. That's when I knew that my feelings for you went past friendship."

Spencer looked at him, unable to think of anything to say. Morgan had said that he'd been in love with Spencer for a long time, but all these years? How could he not have noticed?

"What about you, when did you realize?" Morgan asked.

"It wasn't one moment, I mean, I was attracted to you from the moment we met, but the more time we spent together the more I fell for you. I thought it was just a little crush that I would get over, but I didn't."

"I'm glad. Otherwise this would be pretty awkward." Morgan leaned forward, grabbing Spencer's face with both hands and kissing him.

It was quick and gentle, just enough to reassure Spencer. Morgan wanted to take it further, they both did, but they were sitting in a crowded hospital waiting room.

In the end Spencer's phone ringing was what caused them to break apart. He looked down at it, silently willing it to shut up. No such luck, as the caller ID showed it was Hotch calling.

"Hey Hotch," Spencer answered.

"Reid, how are you?" Hotch asked.

"I'm holding in."