Never Again (3/7)

.... Joseph POV....

"Look me in the eyes," he sneered. I gripped the rope tighter, chest heaving with breath too fast to generate hamon.

He took a step forwards, and I took one back, struggling to try to formulate a plan. I was too exhausted to think- weighed down by the woman dangling a few hundred feet below.

"I want to see the fear in your eyes when you die," he snarled. I shook my head, coming up with a desperate plan. If I was to die, then I was going to do it on my terms.

The red stone could go to hell for all I cared. As long as he didn't get his hands on it-

He stepped forwards, that knife aimed towards my neck. I snarled, meeting his gaze. I'd been too lost in my thoughts.

I was a dead man.

And then something happened that I never could've predicted in my wildest dream.

Kars' eyes flew wide, and he swung his arm back- aiming for-

A hand clamped down on his forearm, hamon crackling over it.

I took a millisecond to stare at the man standing there before jumping up, using the rope as a lift as I slammed my foot into Kar's head. He lurched back, eyes flying wide-

A hard shove from the newcomer, and he was sent spiraling over the side of the ruin. I watched him fall, those deadly spikes sprouting up through his back.

He'd been taken off guard enough that we'd gained the upper hand.

And then my gaze drifted to the man standing there.

His brow furrowed as he watched me.

"What took you so long?" he asked, syllables laced with that familiar, soft accent.

I stared at him for moments longer than I could count- my gaze boring into his.

"You're alive," I managed to squeak out. His brow twitched in confusion, and he stared at me.

Covered in dust, bruises marring his tan skin, blood caked to his temple and spotting his clothes-

But alive.

Beautifully, perfectly...

Alive.

I moved the rope to one hand, holding up Lisa Lisa with it and grabbing him with the other, fisting my hand in a combination of his scarf and collar, dragging him towards me.

He stumbled, shocked, body hitting mine in a clumsy clatter as I tucked my face to the crook of his neck.

I closed my eyes, breathing him in for a long moment. The smell of sweat and blood filled my lungs, though beneath it, the faint scent of roses clung to his skin.

"Jojo?" he asked hesitantly, his accent rolling over the vowels of my name. I swallowed thickly, pulling away.

"I thought you were dead," I said as I began to haul her up by the rope. Caesar joined me, shooting me a sharp glance.

"Why would you-"

"You left a bubble," I shot back, eyes narrowing at him. "Of blood. What was I supposed to think?"

His lips thinned for a moment. Then,

"I ran out of soap."

I stopped, staring at him for a long moment.

"You... ran out of soap? So you decided to-" I blew out a breath, shaking my head in playful exasperation

"Did you miss me, Signor?" he asked playfully. I tried to hide my flush as I heaved on the last bit of rope. Caesar laughed softly, helping Lisa Lisa up. His amusement faded as he saw her wounds. Our conversation would have to wait. We had more pressing matters at the moment.

I crouched next to him.

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked. He let out a breath, examining her. Faint energy flickered over the backs of his hands, dancing over his gloves.

"She needs more than I can offer her. She's in critical condition. But she should be able to pull it off," he said, gently pressing on the wounds. She moaned, rolling her head a little. I watched her, lips thinning in worry.

I glanced down at the crowd below us- Kars' army frozen as they saw the state of their master. My gaze caught on a familiar hat.

I tipped my head, rising to a crouch.

"He should be able to get her on her way."

Caesar pulled her into his arms, the muscles in his back flexing as he stood. I took a half moment to admire the view before helping him down.

We made sure Lisa Lisa was comfortable before turning to Kars. He was still on the spikes, unmoving. His army was equally so- cornered by the German army.

I made to take a step forwards, but Caesar caught me, one hand on my forearm.

"Something doesn't seem right," he said softly, those sharp eyes scanning Kars still form. "He's not dead. He should be putting up a fight- unless he has something else planned."

I examined the pillar man, biting my lip.

"As much as I want to think that he's been beaten," Casear shook his head, "we can't be sure until he's a puddle on the ground."

I took a deep breath, watching him. A spark of fear filled me.

I just wanted this all to be done.

Despite all my bravado, I was sick of loosing people. Sick of the pain and anguish. I just wanted to find somewhere nice to live out the rest of my life- hopefully somewhere close to the beautiful blonde Italian.

Caesar's face was grim when I glanced over at him. His gaze slid to mine, blue eyes sharp in the light of the rising sun.

I glanced up, watching as the warm rays danced over the grass.

My eyes drifted shut, and I blew out a soft breath as I felt the warmth on me. All the aches and pains in my body seemed to clamor up all at once- shouting their protest.

Kars was dead- either way. The sun would take care of him.

It was done.

"Ah... Jojo?" My eyes snapped open. "Remember how I told you he wasn't dead?" Caesar was pale, eyes fixed on the body impaled on the spikes. "This would be what I meant."

Because the sun was shining down on the pillar man.

And he was still alive.

Still breathing.

Still fighting.

Which meant...

He'd done it.

He'd used the red stone.

And now he was invincible. Against anything we threw at him.