True Colors

***

***

"Liz?" I murmured, my eyes slightly flickering.

That caused Jesse's face to instantly transform into a frown as concern clouded his black eyes.

"What?" He said. "No, it's Jesse."

"Oh."

I began to shift my weight up onto my legs, in an attempt to get up but was immediately held back by Jesse's grip.

"I don't think it's wise for you to move much right now," he warned me.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm fine, Jessica. It was just a stupid fall."

Jesse inhaled a little air to speak but decided to stay quiet in the end, he knew I could be quite persistent when it came to situations like these.

As I started getting up, I tumbled, hissing as my butt plummeted down into the cold cement yet again, at which point I realized I really did feel kind of dizzy.

"Woah woah," he said as he held my arms and helped me get back up on my feet. "I hate to say I told you so but- "

My scowl practically burnt a hole through Jesse's face, making him intuitively grow quiet.

Again, smart boy.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Jesse studied my expression briefly. "Do you need me to take you to the ER or something?"

"What? No, I'm fine," I said. "Seriously," I reassured him when he raised his eyebrows questioningly.

"Okay, fine," he gave in after taking a small pause. "But I'm keeping an eye on you."

My eyes unintentionally drifted onto a fuming Millie, who had very predictably followed close behind Jesse, and I had to suppress a sneer.

Which wasn't really that hard.

I didn't want to give her much attention, though, so I went back to staring at Jesse's eyes.

God forbid her actually thinking she's that important.

"Well if you're feeling sick, just say the word," Millie finally intervened making me whip my head back in her direction, as did Jesse who I'm pretty sure had zoned out for a moment.

She could've looked and sounded genuine enough, had it not been by the slight twitch of her right eye, which betrayed her and her true intentions.

Clearly she wanted to seem caring and considerate in Jesse's eyes but what she didn't know was that that wasn't really going to get her anywhere, and I fully intended on keeping her in the dark about it.

"Let's just watch the game once and for all." I pressed a hand against my forehead in defeat. "I've had enough drama to last me at least a week."

Oh, and I had seen nothing yet...