Chapter 1

History class was already a pain in the ass before he walked in.

When our teacher took a pause on her pointless lecture on some scientist in the past, that I didn't care enough to remember the name of, and beckoned for someone outside to come in, my attention drifted from my (upside down) textbook to the door.

He was tall and toned with a slightly slender muscular build, along with thick layered golden brown locks and dark almond eyes that matched his sun-kissed tan skin. He wore simple black joggers, a dark long-sleeve and white Nikes, and he had a school bag slung over his shoulder carelessly. It was hard to ignore the silent but intense vibe he gave off as he stood in the doorway of the classroom.

"Class," our teacher Mrs Big Glasses — because I still couldn't pronounce her extremely long name, despite the two months having already spent in her class — addressed all of us, "I forgot to mention this earlier, but we have a new student joining us today."

It could have been my imagination but I thought I heard a few girls in the front row of the class squeal, and that was without my unique hearing abilities. I had to roll my eyes. Well at least someone cared, because I sure as hell didn't.

"Want to tell us your name young man?" our teacher asked, speaking to the new kid.

"Katski," he answered to the class, pausing as if he had to remember something before adding, "Black."

As if on cue a few more of the girls in the room began squealing and whispering to each other while flashing sly looks towards the new student.

"Wow...he's such a cutie." I heard the girl to the table next to me whisper to her friends, who all giggled as pretended that they weren't totally checking out the new kid.

I merely frowned and rolled my eyes with annoyance. What the hell kind of name was 'Katski' anyway?

"Well Katski, welcome to East-Wood high, home to the wolves,"— I mentally laughed at my teacher, oh she had no idea — "Feel free to take any empty seat in the class."

The new kid merely nodded and began looking over the rows of desks.

I was already fairly bored with this class to begin with, and I'm not going to lie, I didn't give two shits if there was a new kid in our class or not. So I let my mind zone out for a little while, until I heard footsteps come to a stop in front of me, followed by a strange scent that reminded me of rainforest and...what the hell, vanilla?

I looked up to meet the calm dark eyes of the new kid, he was just standing in front of my table with a slightly questioning look on his face. I was a split second away from telling him to 'fuck off and go away', until I realized where the only spare seat in the class was.

Next to me.

I mentally groaned. Great, just fucking great.

The rest of the kids in the class looked between the two of us nervously as he stood in front of my table, with good reason too. Around here, I wasn't exactly known to be 'Mr sunshine'.

Or anything even remotely close to that.

I was Ethan Drayre, cold, hostile, and intimidating. I was the kind of guy you avoided looking at in the halls unless you wanted to get pummeled into the ground. Yet for some reason, this new kid seemed completely immune when I glared up at him.

With the way he held himself, with his hand shoved in his pockets and stature completely relaxed, he definitely came off with a challenging vibe.

I swear, had the teacher not been looking at me expectantly, along with the rest of the fucking class, I would have given this guy a piece of my mind for the way he was looking at me. He was too...calm, and it was pissing me off.