Chapter 6

By the time I walked back to the packhouse, Maia was already waiting for me at the door, hip leaned in one direction with her arms crossed in front of her. As I expected, her clothes were different than they had been before — mostly likely because all clothes are torn to shreds every time a wolf shifts, so instead of the leggings and black band tee that she had been wearing earlier, she was standing there in ripped jeans and a dark tank.

"So, did you get rid of the poor soul or what?" she asked with a light laugh as I walked up the large porch steps to meet her.

"Yep."

She looked down and sighed, shaking her head at the ground. "He's lucky I wasn't...you know, transformed when I found him, otherwise things would have ended much differently."

I nodded, but then suddenly snickered to myself as a thought came to mind. "But maybe you should have, you know, just to give him a scare," I laughed while Maia looked like she was trying her hardest not to find the idea amusing.

"We don't do that to humans," she scolded, giving me a light slap on the arm before she turned away and the both of us began walking into the house.

"That was the first human I've seen in the woods for years...I'll need to report it to your father," Maia muttered as she thought to herself. Then she leaned her head back and sighed, "It's kind of too bad though, he was actually pretty cute..."

"Fuck not you too," I groaned loudly as we walked, causing her to give me an odd look.

"What?" she whined.

I rolled my eyes. "Haven't I mentioned it already? Half the school has already got the puppy eyes for him," I muttered, my expression pressed once again into that of annoyance from the reminder. But Maia just snickered.

"You jealous?"

"Why the hell would I be jealous?" I exclaimed, turning on her. She just shrugged.

"Because, I heard that with the Alpha complex and all, it makes you extra possessive and instinctive to claim the top spot in whatever territory you see as your own. So in your case, it's the school. You're so used to being that guy that everybody's afraid of and won't talk to, then the new guy — Katski — shows up and more or less unbalances it. I think he bothers you because you see him as a sort of trespasser in your home turf." she finished expertly, looking up to study my reaction. I blinked.

What the hell does all that even mean?

"Bullshit," I called.

She raised an eye at me. "Is it?" She asked.

I shook my head, I could see where she was coming from, and yes, maybe it did have a little something to do with my Alpha blood, but I could tell that wasn't quite it.

"No, it's more than that," I said once we had arrived at my room. "It's something about him that just ticks me off.

* * *

Later that night after Maia had left, I sat on the floor leaning against my bed and strumming on the strings of my guitar. Because this was a huge (basically) mansion that housed an entire wolf pack, the walls were pretty thick, mainly because we had such advanced hearing capabilities, and nobody wanted to be woken up in the middle of the night from every little sound that was made. So I had no worries about playing loud and disturbing anyone in the household.

Yet, that didn't seem to stop interruptions from being made.

I stopped playing when I heard the light knock on my door. Even without knowing his scent so well, I would have been able to tell in was Kallen just from sensing his power, the kind of power that only came from being an Alpha's son. Naturally, since he was the firstborn and the one who would take our father's place, his aura had always been more eminent than mine, and easier to sense.