Chapter 3

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THESE MERLIN CHARACTERS - ONLY ALARA

After a day of riding and Merlin complaining that his behind was sore, the sun began to set and the small group made camp in a small clearing in the woods. Merlin, of course, had to do all the work. Get out the beds (Cots? Blankets? Bedrolls? I dunno), start a fire, make some food, take care of the horses, etc. And while he was doing that, the knights just talked and hung around, making no effort to help whatsoever. But Merlin was used to it, and he at least had Gwaine to keep him company. Although he hadn't decided if that was a good thing.

"So," Gwaine huffed as they tracked back to camp with more wood for the fire, "Tell me, what did you do to make Arthur call this trip, eh?" He asked

Merlin rolled his eyes and answered, "My mood apparently."

"Ah, being too snarky again, huh?" Gwaine smiled.

"No, not this time." Merlin told him, "This time I was too happy." Gwaine winced, then patted his friend on the back.

"Don't worry Merlin. I'll beat him up for you."

"Will you, Sir Gwaine?" Replied Arthur's haughty voice. Gwaine smiled at them.

"I guess we will see, Your Majesty." (No rhyme intended) Countered Gwaine.

*Time Skip*

As the knights gathered around the fire to listen to one of Leon's embarrassing stories of young Arthur, Merlin snuck off to read his letter, not noticing how Gwaine watched the warlock quietly set himself against a tree, with a smirk and mischievous glint in his eyes,  and then turn to silently conspire with the rest of the knights.

Merlin set himself down and untied the red ribbon around the small scroll. Merlin felt slightly nervous, knowing that his mother only put the red ribbon around it to signify that the context inside was important, and had sensitive information in it. Such as his magic.

Seeing that the knights were distracted, all smirking about who-knows-what, Merlin carefully unravelled the letter and began to read.

To my dearest Merlin

I hope you are well.

I am sorry that I haven't written in a while, I do hope that -

Suddenly the paper was yanked out of Merlin's hands. "Hey!" Merlin yelled and turned to find the person who took his letter. "That's private!"

Gwaine, with the small piece of parchment in hand, smirked at him "not anymore!" He said in a sing-song voice. Let's see who was writing to our dear Merlin, shall we?"

"Gwaine! Give that back to me!" Merlin screamed, but the knight only chuckled and shook his head. Merlin frantically looked around to see if the other knights could be of any help, but they stood around him, all smiling. Merlin paled. What if it said something about his magic? He was doomed. Percival gave him a concerned look, but then masked it by staring at Gwaine instead, who had begun to read the letter aloud. 

Gwaine cleared his throat. "Right. Okay, let's see what this says, shall we?" And then he started to read. Out loud. To all the knights. And Arthur. Merlin's hands trembled. If it said anything about his magic, he was doomed. Arthur just lost his father to sorcery, and it was a rough subject for the King, to say the least. Merlin was once again snapped back to the present, with Gwaine's dramatic reading.

- sorry I haven't written in a while, I do hope that you didn't worry too much.

I hate to give upsetting news, but Alara's condition has worsened. She has been having such horrid nightmares that we have to strap her down so she cannot hurt herself.

I am sorry to put such a burden on you, my boy, but I feel that she cannot stay in Ealdor. She needs help that I simply cannot give her.

I ask that you please come to Ealdor to bring her back to Gauis as I am not sure I can make the journey to Camelot alone. 

I suggest bringing some help so Alara can be moved effectively. Maybe bring your friend Arthur, he is such a nice man, and I know that you trust him.

I hope to see you soon my boy,

Mother

 Merlin sighed. At least it didn't reveal his magic. But it was a secret none the less, and he would have Arthur and all the knights to answer to. The happy mood that he woke up with had definitely dissipated now.

Merlin looked at his feet, eyes closed tight, waiting for the moment of stunned silence to stop. Thankfully, he didn't have to wait long before Arthur slowly asked his servant the question that he knew was coming.

"Merlin... Care to tell us who Alara is?"

... Hehehe continuing in the next chapter. Sorry (Not very sorry though).