"Black Boys Bloom Thorns First": Vol. 2 Chp. 26

"I do it cause he real with me
I do cause he still with me
I do cause I should
I do cause your good for me, good for me
I do it cause I trust (ya)
I do it cause I must
And I'm doin it for us
I do it cause I'm grateful... willing and able
I do it for you cause you do it for me..."

Algebra Blessett—"U Do It For Me"

N'Jobu peeked down from his window to watch Erik play ball on the court near his apartment. A handful of boys and girls his age ran around the court shouting and laughing. Erik made a mad dash and took it to the hoop, his lay-up smooth.

Two weeks.

For two weeks his son had been living with him on that side of town away from his mother. Erik spoke to Califia every night before bed on face chat, and N'Jobu took him to school like normal and picked him up afterward. He spent the last two Sundays with his grandfather and great-grandmother and N'Jobu turned a blind eye when Califia joined them to have dinner before he picked his boy back up after she had left.

"Could I have another cup?"

"Huh?"

N'Jobu turned away from the window.

His neighbor Sheila held out her coffee mug to him.

"Another espresso?" he asked.

"Yes, please."

Sheila's smile was warm and it made N'Jobu feel very hospitable. Her son had been a good friend for Erik while he stayed at the apartment, and Sheila herself had helped N'Jobu out a few times by watching Erik when he needed to make runs at night to meet with the twins or James.

N'Jobu fired up his new Keurig and made himself a cappuccino first. He found himself making it the way Califia liked it and he shook his head as Sheila's fresh espresso poured into her mug.

"Here you go," he said sitting adjacent to her on his side chair.

"The boys are fine?"

"Yeah, they'll play ball all night if we let them," he said sipping his drink.

Sheila glanced at her cell phone and her whole demeanor changed.

"What?" N'Jobu asked changing the channel on his new wall screen.