Introduction (A/N)

Hello dear reader, I'm the author - Sylvia Shadow... as probably obvious by the title 'Introduction' and in brackets 'Author's Note'.

I have placed this here for one reason and one reason alone: to stop any of your confusion. A relatively solid reason if you ask me.

You are about to start a dystopian short story. Yes, a dystopian short story with a tinge of psychological thriller and mystery. The dystopian world you're looking at is the same world as found in my completed novel When They Were Gone; however, this story is not about those characters. No, it is in the same world, but it focuses on a completely different character, one not even mentioned in When They Were Gone

This character is summarised by his job. He works in Garbage Disposal. That is his job, nothing more or less. That said, Garbage Disposal is not what you think it is. Nothing of the sort.

The world is still split into 'provinces', still ruled by either the State or the Sovereign depending on where you live, and they are still at war. Will the war be the focus of this short story? No. Will it be mentioned? Probably not. Its sole aim is to focus on the character of Finn, our Garbage Disposaler. 

Will it be focused on the same area as When They Were Gone? No. Will it be in the State? Yes, absolutely. However, it will be set in a different class.

Do you need to read When They Were Gone to read this? Nope. No need. Of course, you're welcome to read it as well to get a longer look into the world, discover different characters etc, read more 'story', but I'm not forcing you. It's your decision.

Although I've said 'short story', I truly mean 'novella'. Don't worry, however, I said 'novella' not novel - notice the 'a' on the end - that means it's going to be far shorter than your usual story, almost like an extended short story. 

Also, another thing to mention, if you've come from When They Were Gone or already read it etc, please don't spoil it in this book. If you have any questions about anything, I'd be happy to answer them, but I'm not going to answer anything that could potentially spoil. If you want to ask questions relating to both that could possibly spoil, please do it in When They Were Gone, NOT THIS ONE.

I will not be giving any proper world-building here as stuff is revealed as part of the storyline.

Also, please be aware that, at this time, every chapter will be released a week prior on my patreon, which you can find here ---> 

You will also be given an extra story about Finn's younger days, only found on my patreon once this story is finished. 

Alright then, with all that out of the way, I only have one more thing to say before you continue reading:

Ignorance is bliss. Happiness is key.

Ave Publica!

- Sylvia Shadow