05 : Ascendancy

"Still no report from Hale?" I asked, worried about his silence for months.

Farah, a Plant attribute user, shook his head. "We can't track him down. Besides, they are watching."

"That kid," I grumbled, icicles forming on my fingertips, leaving frozen fissures on the table.

She flinched upon seeing the table and before I could say anything, she excused herself and left my office.

Calm down, Isaz would always say. My power responds to my emotions well so I have to keep everything under control, or else, I might hurt people within the vicinity, or even myself.

I closed my eyes, breathed slowly and deeply, and felt my heartbeat returning to its normal pace. When I finally calmed down, I pulled out the last letter Hale sent, which was already month ago.

The White government had stabilized their control over everywhere: transportation, military and even supplies in both White and Black Division. Despite their authority and influence, they were still worried about the remnants of Dad's council. They legalized the existence of gangs, whether they are Huntres in disguise or humdrums, who do criminal acts for them without repercussions. It was also a display of power to the humdrums in the White Division who dare oppose their rule.

Hale's mission was to observe everything that happens in East Black, the most lawless area in Black Division. Three other Huntres were assigned to West, North and South, yet he was the only one who didn't send anything this month.

He was the most promising "shadow" among the young fighters so the elders assigned him that area yet he hadn't sent any update for a month. Maybe something happened to him?

I went out of my office and marched toward the elders' quarters. According to Isaz, this was the oldest building in the village. It smelled like swamp and the walls were already on the verge of collapsing but Hilda, who was sitting in the middle with a grim expression, didn't seem to mind it.

She bowed at me and I returned the gesture. Until now, I still couldn't get used to their new treatment. Isaz, Hilda and Riyo became quite subservient after I passed their training.

This was used to be the assembly hall but the absence of Isaz, Riyo and the other counselors made it look like an abandoned shack. Isaz left the village a week ago to find Leo and Riyo was busy with gathering Water attribute users in the Black Division.

"What's that?" I asked, inching closer to her.

She glanced at me. "The current locations of our allies."

That got my attention. I craned my neck and saw a map, several places marked with dots, mostly in East and North Black.

"Ah, right." She reached for the folded paper beside her. "That kid wants to give you this."

She handed me the paper and I realized what she was talking about. The map and this letter were from Hale. I drew a breath, relieved that he was alright, as I opened the letter.

Winter, I think I found my sister.

Reading the first part of the letter made my heart sink. I remembered him saying he had to leave his younger sister to their family's friend after their parents got ambushed by Fire attribute users.

When we had the chance to go outside the village, the first thing he did was to find her sister. However, the place of their family's friend wasn't there anymore.

One of the reasons why I look out for him was because we both lost the only family we had. The guilt and frustration of not being able to save them despite having the power to do so kept me awake at night. I was glad he found his sister, but a part of me was envious because I hadn't.