08 : Declaration

My fingertips tingled. I could feel the power coursing through my body. The moment I opened my eyes, every tree was half-frozen, while the other half was reduced to snow.

I collapsed on my knees, the energy seeping from my body. The barrier separating me from the village crumbled into huge blocks of ice and I heard footsteps approaching my direction.

"There may have been progress," Isaz said as he stared at the trees covered in ice and snow, "but it is still not safe to be used during a fight."

I cursed under my breath. I knew it was still far from perfect but it had been a year since I accidentally did that technique. After that incident, the elders said it would be a huge advantage if I could master it, but it wasn't too easy.

When we went back to the village that day, I stayed unconscious for five days. When I woke up, my body felt like frozen and burning at the same time. And I couldn't move at all.

Dalan explained everything to the elders, asking if that was a trait of the Alveria family. Isaz said he didn't know about it until I did it.

After two weeks, I could finally move my body but I got tired easily. I never thought that technique would reduced me to this and for the first time since Krystal's disappearance, I was scared.

I only recovered completely after two months. Isaz said I should train regularly to get back in shape and I did. The truth was, even though I was scared of that immensely powerful technique, I wanted to know how I did it. Because if I had that power, I knew I could protect everyone.

"Rest first," Isaz added as he looked at the other direction.

Dalan appeared behind him and kneeled in front of me. I glared at Isaz but he was already walking away.

"I can walk on my own," I grumbled but he just scoffed at me.

"Well, I'm here because we know you can't. Please pardon me, Lady Winter," he retorted as he carried me on his arms.

I glared at him and almost wanted to freeze him right on the spot. I wished Hale was here. At least I could control that kid.

After training more rigorously, the burden on my body wasn't that bad compared to the first incident. This time, I wouldn't be able to move only for a few hours instead of weeks.

He laid me on my bed, lit the fireplace to keep the room warm and closed the curtains.

"You can go now," I ordered.

He chuckled in return, and I felt a gentle breeze brushing my face. "Rest well, My Lady."

As the door closed, I fell asleep and dreamed about Krystal.

***

"Do it," Isaz demanded as he stood between the trees.

A bead of sweat trickled down my face. "But . . ."

"You need to have an absolute control on that power, or else, you'll hurt your comrades, too."

Two freezing years after I did that technique accidentally, I finally managed to execute it. However, Isaz wanted me to control it thoroughly. My heart pounded as he stood from a distance, telling me to unleash that technique with him there.

I remembered the sensation I felt that day. My head was clouded with rage as those bastards killed the kid without remorse. I remembered wanting to do the same and then it happened.

I was about to channel that feeling when a loud bang interrupted me. The wall of earth separating this place from the village started trembling. Isaz and I exchanged looks and he walked toward cliff Hilda created.