27 ~ Beautiful

**make sure you've read chapters 25 & 26**

Walking back into the restaurant, I literally run into my date.

"Sasha, is everything okay?" I ask, steadying her.

"My dad is picking me up." She smiles bashfully. "He found out where we were and sorta flipped."

"Let me walk you to his car." I offer my hand and she shakes her head.

"He... he wouldn't really be pleased to see me with you." She says, giving me a swift hug.

Watching her walk off, I don't even have it in me to be offended. Sasha Clemons has proven to be weird as hell and maybe, slightly obsessed with me.

Going home with a to-go container packed with panna cotta and a lipstick stain from Bella smothering me with hugs, I contemplate a couple options. I could go to Uncle John's and hang with Scar. I could drive to Alabama and spend the weekend squatting in Ashton's dorm. My sister can't say no if I tell her once I'm there. Or I could turn around and apologize for how I acted.

Instead, I find myself parking on a small patch of grass. Grabbing my dessert and a blanket from the back, I walk until I stop in front of two headstones.

"Hey, mom and dad." I sit down. "Not to steal Scar's line but life's been sorta shitty."

Trying to not be bothered by the sound of animals howling and insects chirping, I stuff my face.

"I'm sure you two have a front row seat to everything but let me sum it up." I prepare to be dramatic. "All of my friends graduated. Ella, the supposed love of my life dumped me. I decommitted from Vanderbilt. Almost quit baseball for a hot second. Uncle John is now a dad. We have internet stalkers."

Yeah, that about sums it up.

"So I don't know where I'm going to School. We've adopted two more people into our family, and I think you'd like them. Clay did just win the Heisman and Nina is crazy. There are now two kids who will soon be named after you, which is a horrible idea. You two were wild enough. I've made new friends and they aren't so bad. I think Scarlett might get arrested for assault if people don't leave us alone. I've come to the conclusion Ella wasn't the love of my life and I've gone on two horrible dates."

Now that's everything.

Eating some more, I get down to business. "That's not really why I'm here. I, um, I have this... friend. Her name is Chloe and I guess, recently, I've discovered I might care for her." That's a good way to describe it. "We had a fight tonight and I feel bad."

I'm an ass should be tattooed across my forehead.

"I think I'm only telling you this because I don't want any of those other kids you created telling me they knew." I admit. "Siblings are sorta annoying like that." But I love them anyways.

Basking in the silence, I admire the peace. Who would've ever thought a place associated with so much pain could be so beautiful?

Studying the stars, I decide to end the conversation on a better note. "Aunt Allie got a divorce and so now we're actually able to see them. They still live in Georgia and Jovie and I will never date, but I have one question." Checking to make sure no one else is around, I lean in. "Did her and Uncle Ricardo have like... a thing? They act weird around each other. She mentioned sleeping around and I have so many questions Uncle John refuses to answer."

Getting up with a smile on my face because I know, without a doubt, they're laughing at me, I head home.

*****