30 ~ Pixie

"Sage, grab the presents." Scarlett hisses, trying to shove packages into her closet as feet run up the stairs.

In a hurry, I kick the boxes and maybe dent a few in the process. The door opens and I jump onto the bed to hide our last gift.

"Relax, it's me." Uncle John comes in dressed as Santa and closes the door.

"Send a text next time." Scarlett shoves me off the last present.

Taking in the crushed box, I shrug. "Whoops, but it's Clay's so I don't feel too bad."

"Sage Forest, that is exactly why it shouldn't be ruined." She whacks me with a pillow repeatedly.

"Okay, I'll fix it." I rub my arm. That was a dick move. I'm still a little bitter about the damage he did to my back. It's been three days and it still hurts.

"Happy first Christmas as a family." Scarlett says.

"How's the Garcia gang feeling?" I raise a brow.

"Don't tell Melissa, but the kids might wake up to discover fake snow in the house." He checks to make sure the door is shut.

"Oh my God." My sister blinks in shock.

"I'm jealous." I turn to her. "Why can't we have that?"

John laughs. "I want it to be special. They've never had Christmas the right way, or any way, and I want to do good."

"They're kids." Scarlett squeezes his arm. "All they care about is being with you."

He sags in defeat. "Right now, I just want to see little Katherine smile. She refused to wrap presents. She refused to help bake cookies. She refuses to talk to me while I wear this costume."

"Then why are you wearing it?" I wonder.

"Because this is tradition." He states proudly.

Nodding, I can't help but feel bad. Uncle John loves his kids so much. The only issue is, they have to learn to love him. That's a process no one can rush.

"Is she seeing someone?" Scarlett asks.

"Liz got us connected with a therapist that specializes in cases like ours. Right now, it's baby steps."

Standing up, my sister hugs our uncle and I join. "Let's make sure they have the best Christmas ever."

Running downstairs, I find our family in the TV room. My eyes narrow on sweet baby Sofia and I hold my arms out. "There's my precious."

"You're not holding her." Clay says, lifting her up to nuzzle her face.

My jaw drops. "You can't hog the baby, Clay."

He smirks, not bothered as she tries to poke his eye out. "I just got her, and she's my favorite in this house."

"That's mean." Saffron crosses her arms.

"She doesn't talk back." Clay winks. "But you can sit with me."

"Fine." She joins him.

In disbelief, I turn to Melissa. "Are you seriously letting this happen?"

"Baby isn't crying. Mathew is off with the twins. Katherine is stealing sweets. I have a glass of wine." She takes a long sip. "Momma is off duty."

"Fine." I grumble. He can have her. My favorite is in the kitchen anyway.

A little blonde girl is on my counter, her face covered in icing and chocolate.

"What do we have here?" I demand and she drops a half-eaten cupcake.