29 ~ Picnic

The best part about winter break is being able to sleep in.

Now if only I could remember to turn my alarm off. Then I'd actually be able to enjoy it. Instead, it's Monday morning and I'm wide awake thanks to my "What Does the Fox Say" alarm.

Severely disgruntled and sleep deprived, I make my way to the kitchen without properly opening my eyes. After running into two walls and hitting my elbow on the counter, I feel around the refrigerator until I find what I want.

Chugging orange juice straight from the carton, I don't even flinch when I'm slapped upside the head.

"Get a fucking glass." Ashton says and I grunt in response, still drinking. Ah yes, I forgot he was home.

Once I'm finally satisfied, I wipe my mouth. "Good morning to you too."

Making coffee, he blows me a kiss, and I wave to the other person in my kitchen. I also forgot we have company staying with us. "Morning, Clay, want some juice?"

"I'm good." He grabs his glass. "Continue on with your nasty ways."

Burping, I grin. "I always knew there was a reason I liked you."

"Why are you up so early?" Ashton asks, popping toast in the toaster. "You usually sleep like a bear hibernating."

Very true. It pains me to think about the sleep I'm missing out on.

"Alarm, what about you two?" It's six a.m. and they look like they've been up for hours.

"We went for a run." He shrugs.

"You two have the next few days off." I raise a brow. "What is wrong with you?"

"The weather was nice." Clay offers, grabbing a box of cereal.

Blinking, I decide to ignore how stupid they are. Some things in life I wasn't meant to understa It's cold as hell outside. I'm in fuzzy socks and thermal pajama pants. 

Ashton's toast pops and I snag a piece. "Thank you."

"Give it back." He slams his butter knife down, getting jelly all over the counter.

"This is so good." I say as I make a show of chomping my food.

"Sage, I swear to God." He punches my stomach. Someone's hangry.

Shoving the rest of the piece in my mouth, I grab the second from the counter. "Yum."

He swings at me and I jump back, knocking over a plastic cup. "It's too early for this."

"I'm just so hungry."

"That's it." He growls, and next thing I know, I'm face down on the ground with a knee digging into my back. "Give me my food."

"No." I croak, trying to shove the rest into my mouth. Ashton jabs my neck and I drop the toast. "That fucking hurt."

Snatching the toast, he jams the entire thing into his mouth. "Boo-hoo."

He gets off of me and I crawl towards the table. Sitting next to Clay, I rub my neck. "Why are you guys eating now? Scar will make breakfast in a few hours."

"We'll eat that too." Clay assures me, adding more cereal to his bowl. My stomach growls as I eye the box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. He notices, snatching the box. "Touch it and I'll hurt you."

"But that's my favorite." I pout.

"Did I ask?" He raises a brow.

Glaring at him, I cross my arms. "I take it back; I don't like you."