FORTY FIVE

Vrox led her to the blacksmithing cave and stood proudly beside his invention.

"This is great. The dimensions are perfect. Thank you so much."

Her smile watered him, making him stand taller.

"So, is there anything that turns cold under the moonlight? I would have to smear it on the metal during the nights."

Vrox nodded. "Zix. Of course, but it would take me some time to get it. It is a rarity."

"That's fine," she eased as she messed with the sliding door of the soon-to-be fridge.

Vee hopped inside, making her chuckle.

"I can engineer indoor plumbing for you guys too," she mused, walking over to the rock cave of the wall and knocking a fist against it. "But I would have to talk to Nebula. She probably knows more about which rocks it would be easier to dig into. I'm afraid I don't know much about formations."

"What is this term?"

She grinned. "Indoor plumbing is one of Earth's many luxuries. Before I got dumped in Ezron, I used to sit on a marble seat to do my business."

Vrox reached for her waist and tugged her forward. "If you are looking for a seat, you can have my lap, yes?"

She rolled her eyes playfully. "If I didn't know you, I would think you're a player."

"This word does not translate."

"A flirt," she offered, bending down to grab Vee. "I wouldn't be surprised if you hit on Vee too."

"I would never strike your pet," he countered instantly, looking baffled by the suggestion.

She shook her head with a smile. Sometimes, Vrox was cuter than Vee himself.

"Nevermind. So, how did you get to melt together the sheets of metal?"

Vrox led her to his work station, and they began to nerd away about soldering. She was pretty amazed by his technique. When she requested to try it out, Vrox's instant rejection had her pouting like a five-year-old.

"I am sorry, little Terran," Vrox grumbled as he pet her hair. "I would not be able to live with myself if you got even a small burn. Your eye-water is poison for me."

She was torn between arguing and wrapping her legs around his torso and kissing him stupid.

"Okay," she conceded, accepting that it would take many adventures before Vrox was finally convinced that she wasn't as helpless as Vee.

He continued to teach her about molding metal. "This is–" he dropped the metal rod he was holding when Kira hiccuped.

She hiccuped again, growing annoyed by the miniature seizure.

Vrox eyed every jiggle that rocked her breasts.

"Is this your mating call?"

She frowned. "My what?"

His eyes rose to hers before returning to her chest. "Is this why you are shaking your bre–ts, because you wish to seduce me? I have seen female birds do something similar to attract males."

He looked genuinely confused.

Kira laughed, getting interrupted by another hiccup. "No. I'm not puffing up my feathers for you. This is harmless," she stopped to hiccup. "It just happens to humans some times."

He raised a hand, skimming his fingertips lovingly across a cheekbone. "You are the most alien yet natural thing that has graced this universe."

She just about melted. Taking a few steps forward, she furrowed against his chest.

"Thank you for making the contraption for me. I'll start testing the freezing substance tomorrow. I think Vee is hungry. Can we get something?"

"Of course."

He took her outside, leading her toward the fields.

"Oh, I forgot that I left some furs out to dry. I'll be right back."

Vrox nodded, taking Vee from her. "I will feed Vee."

"Thanks!" she waved before jogging to the tree that she left her furs to sun-dry.

Rokan paused his conversation with Kyros once she ran past his place. "Hello, Kira," Rokan greeted.

"Hey boys!" she tossed back.

"Boys?" Rokan repeated.

She laughed at his confusion. The men didn't understand the endearment, just like they couldn't wrap their heads around how her short and pudgy body managed to survive for 26 years.

Once she reached the tree, she began to pull at the furs. Vrox loved to watch her struggle to hang anything on the tree. He would tease her as she jumped and wiggled to reach, before patting her ass softly and then hanging the furs for her.

She grinned when she heard heavy footsteps fall behind her.

"Did you come to bully me again?" she asked Vrox.

A thick, scale-less arm enslaved her waist, and she began to panic, because she knew that Vrox's arms didn't feel like this. She scratched at the man that didn't belong wrapped around her, drilling her heels into the dirt.

A hand locked her scream in her chest.

Vrox!

Kyros!

Rokan!

Nothing but angry puffs of air left her.

The radiation of a dozen supernovas cooked her tranquility.

Her captor hauled her out of her safe haven, plucking her through a hole in the wooden fence.

"Vrox!" she whimpered, hating her helplessness.

Her captor lifted her by the waist and began to run away from the camp. It wasn't until many miles later that she was released.

"You speak our language," a voice rasped.

That voice.

She threw her head back, sending her braid flying.

"Akdronis!"

He stood naked before her, his unkind eyes stern.

"Where is Nebula?" she blurted. She made sure to feed the distance between them, unsure of what his intentions were.

"Ney-la?" Ak repeated. "Is this the other female's name?"

Kira nodded eagerly. "Yes! Please, please return her. I'll take care of her. She must be scared."

Ak eyed her for an excruciating minute, before surprising her with a look of fatigue.

"You must help me."

"Help you?" Kira echoed.

The native of this planet that was designed to battle anything from microscopic bacteria to demonic birds wanted her help?

"My female," Ak started.

His what?

Kira took note of his possessive determiner.

"She is injured and I–" he stopped to run a hand across his short hair, which was almost identical to Vrox's.

She never thought she'd see Ak look anything other than brooding.

"I do not know what to do. She is bleeding."

He looked defeated.

A smirk began to crescent Kira's lips. She had a good idea of where this was going.

"Where is she bleeding?"

Ak blew a heavy breath, his look of anguish becoming more potent. "Between her legs. I do not know how to heal this, but I cannot let her die. I cannot."