FIFTY NINE

Nebula blinked and then shook her head as if dismissing what she just heard.

"Come again?"

"I love him."

Nebula's eyebrows flew to the ceiling. "You love... the fanged, yellow-eyed, seven-foot guy with the scaled arm that can span around you twice?"

The mother of her shock nodded. "The one and only. I'm sure you already connected that Ezronians are going extinct because their birth rate has flatlined. Vrox and I decided to change the tide."

"Kira," Nebula interrupted. "I just want to make sure that you're not confusing duty with love. I know you feel like it's your moral responsibility to save these guys– and I understand the pressure, but it could confuse you."

She shook her head. "No. I'm not high on philosophy. There's no denying it. I love him. Vrox is... fuck, I didn't think men like him existed. He's surreal. There's nothing he wouldn't do for his brothers or me."

"I can't... imagine that," Nebula replied with a frown.

Kira figured as much. Akdronis had painted a hideous picture of Ezronian men.

"Give yourself time. I'm sure that the guys will change your mind. They're hilarious and pretty harmless. Who knows, maybe you'll become lovey-dovey with Rokan or Kyros."

Nebula chuckled dryly. "I'm pretty sure Ak would rain blood on the parade."

"We'll deal with him. He needs to learn his place."

The fierce finality in her tone inspired a smile on Nebula's face. "Thanks. It's good to know that you have my back." She allowed her eyes to drift to the entrance. "Now, can we go back to talking about you? I really don't want to think of the pressure of having to choose an alien to make babies with."

"Um..." Kira started, shifting uncomfortably. "If it makes you feel better, I'm not sure if it's possible for Terrans and Ezronians to procreate. So hey, you might not have to choose a guy after all," she offered dryly.

Upset swelled, weighing her head down. She needed to give Ezron a child. If she failed to pass down the torch of life, then death would consume what little light remained.

She'd think of her shortcoming until she drew of her last breath, reminding herself that none of her successes would leave an echo, that she had watered the death that was overrunning the planet.

"What makes you think that there's no genetical compatibility between you two?"

Kira looked at the entrance, checking to see if Vrox was anywhere nearby. She needed to protect his honeymooned hope from her gnawing apprehension.

"We had unprotected intercourse many times, but I bled today."

"Oh no," Nebula bemoaned, moving her free hand to Kira's knee. "You don't know what that means, though. Bleeding while pregnant is a possibility for human women."

"I know, I know," Kira repeated, losing her hands in her braided hair. "But it's just so tempting to think of the worst. I haven't felt a single symptom. Nothing. I feel normal physically, but terrible mentally."

"Just breathe," Nebula eased. "Give it time. Stress won't help anyone."

"Vrox deserves fatherhood. I want to give it to him so terribly. Even if a portal to Earth opened right now in front of us, I wouldn't cross it, because he's my home. There is nothing on Earth for me but my bitter mother and cold, dead trophies."

Nebula raised her arm and wrapped it around her, offering comfort. Kira appreciated it. As great as Vrox's hugs and snuggles were, he wasn't a woman or a Terran. There was a certain warmth that only Nebula could offer.

"Did you tell him yet? About the bleeding?"

Kira stiffened with distraught. "Hell no. No way. Vrox– you don't know how he gets. He'll get all sad and find a way to blame himself. There's no reason for both of us to lose our minds with worry."

Nebula sighed. "I think you should tell him. But hey, it's your call."

"It's good to have you here, Nebula. I'm glad you're safe."

"Hey," Nebula said with a squeeze. "We're in this together.

Kira smiled. "The baddest bitches of Ezron stand united."

Nebula chuckled. "We're the only bitches on Ezron."

They eased into light laughter.

"You should get some rest. You can sleep here. I'm sure Vrox won't mind."

"I don't want to put the guy out of his bed, though. I doubt all three of us would fit. Is there an extra bed anywhere? Or maybe I could make a cot on a corner or something?"

"Let me see," Kira offered before standing and heading outside.

Vrox, Ni'ev and Rokan stood many feet from the entrance, only identifiable by the torches that looked to be as mad as their expressions.

She crossed her arms over her chest to ward off the chilly wind and the pressure of her secret.

Vrox's gaze found her, and he extended a hand out for her. Picking up her speed, she took his hand and painted what she told Nebula true with a smile.

She loved him.

Ak broke the silence, his loud existence demanding attention.

"Why did you leave Neyla alone?"

She looked to her left and found a man that shared a mutation of her affection. Akdronis loved Nebula, but it was a different kind of love. A warped one.

"I think it's time to rest. She wanted to know if she could make a cot in our room and sleep with us."

"No," Ak answered with finalization.

"Ak, she doesn't want to share your bed, and I won't let you force her. She doesn't belong to you."

The prince glared down at her. "What you Terrans lack in height, you make up for in spirit."

Vrox dropped Kira's hand and shifted it to her hip. "Flatten that wrinkle on your brow, brother, or I will flatten you on your back. I will not let you glare at my female."

She could have sworn that she heard Ak's jaw creak.

"Tell her that she may use my bed. I will sleep outside of my dwelling."

Kira hesitated. "You won't kidnap her again, right?"

"Kyros is keeping watch tonight," Vrox assured. "No one is entering or leaving this camp without him noticing."

With a nod, Kira went back inside to give Nebula an update.

"Ak says you can use his bed, and he'll sleep outside."

Nebula rose to her feet, looking wary. "He won't come in?"

Kira nodded. "Yeah, and someone will be keeping watch at all times."

"Okay..."

The two women embraced.

"I'll see you later. Get some rest, yeah?"

Nebula smiled. "I haven't slept on an actual bed in weeks, so don't be surprised if I sleep for three days."

Outside, Ak's unmistakable "Nayla!" made both women pause.

Kira remained silent, giving Nebula space reply. She chose to continue her way, a veil of coolness flickering behind her.

Ak accepted her silence and didn't call out for her again.

Ak's bed, like Vrox's, was too high for them. They had to get creative to lift Nebula. Once Kira made sure that the other woman was comfortable on the furs, she returned to her alien's arms.