Chapter 12

Emily's P.O.V. ~

"It fucking hurts." Phil groans.

"You guys just need to walk it off." I play with his hair.

"You don't know what the fuck you're talking about." Stu groans.

"I'm a fucking doctor, asshole." I glare at him.

After a while, the boys get up and another cop drops us off at the impound lot. We wait on the porch for the car. Alan is sitting down. Stu is pacing back and forth, and I'm leaning against one of the poles with Phil.

"Fuck those guys, you hear me? That was bullshit! I'm telling everybody we stole a cop car." Stu rants.

"They let us go. Who cares?" Phil sighs.

"I care!" Stu snaps. "You can't just do that. You can't just tase people because you think it's funny. That's police brutality."

"It was either that, or we all would be in jail!" I snap slightly, just to shut him up.

"Yeah! What the hell was up with you being pregnant? You haven't had a boyfriend in like 4 years." Stu stops pacing and turns to me.

"I lied." Phil rolls his eyes. "I didn't know what they were gonna do! I wasn't risking her."

"That's bullshit! She should have gotten tased too. I'm getting a soda. Do you guys want anything?" He asks.

"No." We all say.

Stu walks away and I sigh.

"My man doesn't shut up. Jesus Christ." Phil sighs, pulling me close.

I wrap my arms around him and look at Alan.

"Alan, you okay?" I ask, softly.

"I'm just worried. What if something happened to Doug? Something bad." Alan glances at us.

"Come on, you can't think like that." Phil starts.

"I mean, what if he's dead? I can't afford to lose anybody close to me again. It hurts too much."

I look away. I never thought he would be dead. My...twin brother could be dead. Phil holds me close.

"I was so upset when my grandpa died." Alan finishes his rant.

"Oh, I'm s...How'd he die?" Phil asks.

"World War II."

Phil looks at me, then back up. "Died in battle?"

"No, he was skiing in Vermont. It was just during World War II." Alan says, as if nothing is wrong with his statements.

"Alan....Doug is fine." I say, more to myself than him.

"Well, why hasn't he called?" Alan looks at us.

"Because we have his phone, Alan. He might not have a way to contact us." I answer.

"I'll tell you another thing," Stu starts but Phil cuts him off.

"Stu, not now."

"No, how much do you wanna bet it's fucked beyond recognition." Stu finishes.

"That's enough." Phil snaps. "Alan's seriously worried, okay? Let's not freak him out anymore."

"Sorry, Alan," Stu pauses. "You know what? We'll search the car for clues and everything's gonna be okay."

We all hear a car against the gravel, coming toward us.

"Oh shit. I can't watch. Just tell me what it looks like." Phil says, hiding his face in my hair.