TWO

Eleanor didn't find the prospect of moving to a rainy town in Washington especially enticing, yet she couldn't say she was regretful of agreeing. That was her problem, she struggled to feel anything.

Even as she flew over from London, something that used to terrify her, she didn't feel an ounce of fear. It had been like this for a few weeks now, ever since the accident. In which she lost both her family and her emotions.

Her mother and father had been pronounced dead on the scene, and as she was being escorted to the hospital, she too had been pronounced dead. Until she wasn't. Her ribs had been cracked during CPR and the paramedic had prayed as he pumped her chest, but Eleanor was revived after four minutes and forty four seconds with no brain trauma. She was a miracle.

It was what many people had labelled her; a walking miracle. Yet she couldn't say that she agreed. Because no matter how hard she tried to stir her dormant emotions she failed. She was completely numb and it was excruciating. Eleanor had prayed and begged and pleaded with a God she didn't believe in just so she could grieve her parents, feel the sadness that came with healing. But it was as if her heart had never started beating again.

So she learnt to put on a mask of emotion, smile politely in the presence of others and even forced tears at her parents funeral. As she looked at the weeping faces of her parents' friends and family, she almost envied them - but she couldn't. As much as she wished for the ache of loss in her chest she simply stared into the pale pink chrysanthemums which lay atop of their dark coffins and listened to the sniffles and sobs of those around her.

Her Godfather Charlie - who had been best friends with her father when he himself had lived in Forks - had flown over for the funeral and had taken her home with him to Forks, Washington, an eternally overcast town. Eleanor was partially grateful for the fact, because despite the cold not much affecting her anymore - the rain on her skin made her feel something, even if it was the brief and subtle sensation of the cool droplets on her skin. Plus, living in England her whole life, she had grown accustomed to wet weather.

Their journey was long and awkward, but by now Eleanor was rather good at faking emotions and engaged in polite conversation throughout the trip with the matching expressions and reactions that didn't come naturally to her anymore.

When they pulled up to the quaint house in his cruiser, she made sure to thank him.

"Thank you, Charlie." He looked at her with pitiful eyes, "I know this isn't easy and I'm really grateful for you agreeing to take me in - I suppose you're the only family I have left."

Her words would sound miserable in anyone else's mouth, but as she spoke in her unfeeling way it was simply a fact.

"Of course kiddo," Charlie kept it short in his signature fashion, "Do you remember it? Last time you were here you were half the height."

"How could I not?" Eleanor stepped from the car and grabbed her carry-on as Charlie retrieved her luggage from the boot. "I'd count down for weeks before our trips here - they were the highlight of my year."

Charlie chuckled as he pulled her bags over the steps, the door swinging open just as he reached the top. In the door stood a porcelain girl with chocolate brown curls and an awkward smile on her face - it had been a long time since she had seen Bella.

She supposed she should be feeling some sort of emotion at this point, nostalgia? That was a sentiment she hadn't rehearsed, so she settled with a lopsided grin and running into a hug.

Bella snickered as she embraced her childhood friend, noting the coldness on her skin that seemed familiar.

"Elle!" Bella opened the door wider to let them through, "It's been a while,"

"Too long! What, five years? How have you been?" Eleanor's smile stretched wide enough for her dimples to show - she wondered if she was over doing it, but Bella matched her enthusiasm.

"I know! Um, I'm good you know, graduation coming up and everything." Eleanor remembered Bella's strained social skills well, as kids they matched each other perfectly.

Bella's chronic timidness soothed by Eleanor's intrepid character - they seemed to balance each other out as they explored the woods. Bella reigning in Eleanor's endless desire for adventure and Eleanor quieting Bella's anxieties. 

'The adventures of Bell and Elle', is what their parents labelled their antics.

Then they flew home, unknowingly, for the last time - until now. If only she still felt the perpetual craving for adventure instead of this agonising emptiness.

"I cleaned out the loft, put some stuff in there for you - it's not great but we can work on it." Charlie waited at the bottom of the stairs before leading Eleanor upward, her bags still in his hands.

It wasn't small or big, enough space for the double bed at one end and the wardrobe at the other, even a little desk squeezed in. Wooden beams ran across the ceiling and skylights allowed the natural light to shine through.

It was obvious the efforts they had gone to to make it work.

"It's perfect," Eleanor flashed her Oscar-worthy smile once more, "Thank you."

"I'll leave you to settle in."

Eleanor nodded as Charlie retreated down the steps, leaving her alone in her new room.

She realised the absence of any hesitancy as she perched on her bed staring out into the grey sky laden with grumbling clouds - rain beginning to bounce off of her window. She didn't find herself missing her old home, or even her deceased parents. 

The thought made Eleanor's head fill with self-hatred; she was a cold, unfeeling monster.

But she couldn't bring herself to care.

-

A/N;

I hope you're liking it so far, I know it's a bit wordy and my writing style is a bit odd but hopefully everything will improve as it goes on. Trust me things will get much more interesting soon!