TWENTY THREE

The night was cold. Well, Eleanor took Bellas word for it. In that moment she was glad her emotional dilemma rendered her immune to the cold, besides some tingling sensations. She could hear Bella's teach chattering from her own tent, in which she sat with Charles' diary in front of her. She hadn't managed to bring herself to open it yet, to accept what had happened to Charles when he had used his power. To see his deterioration over the months.

Eleanor found a welcome excuse when she heard Jacob spit, "Get your hand off me."

She made her way to Edward and Bella's tent just in time to hear Edward, "Keep your hands off her."

"Jesus Bella, you're practically frozen and they're still fighting over you."

Jacob rolled his eyes, "You're input isn't welcome."

Bella's voice stuttered with the cold as she spoke, "Don't fight."

Her pale face only just peaked through her layers, but Edward released his hand as she looked at him.

"If she gets sick it's on you." Jacob turned to Eleanor, his face suddenly confused, "How come you're not frozen like Bella?"

"I don't get cold."

Jacob didn't bother to ask her to elaborate as he turned back to Bella's shivering frame.

Edward's face was almost comically pained as he looked between Bella and Jacob before nodding slightly. Jacob took that as permission to climb into her sleeping bag, she instantly curled into his warmth.

"You're freezing Bella." Jacob looked down out her, Eleanor didn't approve of the enjoyment she could see in his eyes. "Relax. You'll warm up soon. Faster if you took your clothes off."

Eleanor huffed, "Jesus you can't quit it can you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Jacob's eyes flashed with something red and hot but Eleanor didn't care.

"Just give it a rest, bloody hell, she's en-"

"Eleanor." Bella's chattering voice cut her off.

Eleanor turned to see Edward watching Bella in Jacob's arms, she could practically hear his tortured thoughts. As much as she felt uncomfortable in the situation, she couldn't bring herself to go back to her tent. To go back to the journal with her fate inscribed in anguish ridden words.

So Eleanor sat, watching Bella as she slowly fell asleep.

"Can you at least attempt to control your thoughts?"

Edwards words were the first in a while.

"I really get under that ice-cold skin of yours, don't I?" Jacob's voice was smug, "What, are you doubting her feelings for you?"

Edward answered the question with silence and Eleanor didn't blame him. Jacob's arrogant tone annoyed her.

"So picking through my brain's ok, but letting me into yours? Forget it."

"I'm sure he'd prefer silence over whatever's going on in there, although I am proud - I would've assumed your head would be empty."