FIVE

The next few days drifted by similarly. Eleanor continued her mannerly act, smiling when necessary with minimal input in the groups conversation, only the occasional sarcastic quip. But overall, the high school talk was uninteresting and she kept quiet - almost abrasive in her silence.

Something that had caught her interest, however, was Jasper Hale. He was bizarre - strangely pale with those honey eyes yet ethereally attractive, just like the rest of his family but different. He stayed mostly silent at lunch, like her, and wished the days away. Eleanor couldn't deny he had occupied her thoughts regularly, for one particular reason.

Each time his amber eyes met hers , a wave of emotion, no matter how subtle, washed over her. It was fleeting and dilute - but Eleanor had felt something, something other than the echoing emptiness she had become accustomed to.

Just as she did when they passed each other in the hallway.

Alice was by his side - she wondered if they were together - but her thoughts were distracted by the warm feeling that flooded her.

Jasper relished the escape Eleanor gave him, a break from the unrelenting thirst, and basked in the ecstasy that flashed in her eyes. They seemed to understand each other, in those moments of eye contact, slowly learning more about the other.

And then, they had passed and the stimulating moment was simply in the past.

It was their last period, just as Eleanor turned into her English classroom, a dark figure obscured her peripheral vision. Looming and shrouded in shadow in the very corner of her eye. It stuck there, as she looked around, only just peeking into view.

She had noticed this a few times, since the accident. The dark presence that she could never fully see, as it watched menacingly from the very edge of her eyesight. In these moments, she was glad she couldn't feel fear - something about the shadow that stalked her brought a chill down her spine.

As Eleanor sat at back of the classroom, she waited. Unmoving as she focused on the darkness - normally it was gone within a minute, but it had been lingering for longer each time.

After a few minutes it was gone, regressing from her vision, and Eleanor released a breath she had not realised she was holding. She spent the lesson pondering her tenebrous stalker - maybe she was simply insane, her lack of emotion had driven her mad.

Bella bumped into her in the hallway, a smile on her face which Eleanor matched.

"You ready to go?"

"I think I'll walk."

Bella's eyebrows raised, her face portraying a mixture of confusion and concern, "Are you sure? It raining - like a lot."

"Oh I had no clue," Bella rolled her eyes as Eleanor's dry humour, "I like the rain."

"You'll love living in Forks then." She turned whilst giving Eleanor a small wave, "See you at home."

The woods were quiet, besides the patter of rain as it dripped from leaf to leaf finding its way to the ground. By now Eleanor was thoroughly soaked through to the bone, but she enjoyed they way her clothes clung to her and goosebumps pricked her skin.