EIGHT

Apparently, Bella had been filled in with the events of the weekend. Because the minute she arrived home she bounded up to Eleanor's room, clambered onto her bed,  and lay beside her in silence for a few moments.

"What happened to you, Elle?"

Eleanor, for once, didn't know how to answer. It was a simple question yet it held so much power over her, because she didn't have an answer.

"I don't know Bell," She turned to lay on her side so she faced Bella, pausing for a few seconds, "all I know is that I haven't felt any emotions in a long while - but they're all going to come crashing down on me, and I don't know if I can bare it."

Bella spent the night with Eleanor, eventually falling asleep beside her as Eleanor watched the stars from her window. It was something she used to do with her father - he pointed out each of the constellations to her, so now she could pick them out of the start dotted night sky.

She had explained her strange situation to Bella, describing the unusual way she had retained her morals and logic - so knew when and what to feel, but could never actually experience it. Her life had become a blur of staring into oblivion and smoking cigarettes, and if she was sure of one thing, it would be that her parents wouldn't want her to live like that.

So, when Bella had fully grasped Eleanor's condition, she had proposed a promise.

"We'll find out what happened to you, and we'll get Elle back - promise?"

Eleanor felt a ghostly twinge of hope, and wondered if it was sick joke, if whatever Gods were up there were laughing at her naivety as she linked her pinky finger with Bella's and agreed.

She knew that she'd never be the same, but she wanted to live a life that her parents would be proud of. And hopefully Bella could help with that.

The next morning Edward drove them to school.

The minute Eleanor got in the car, Edward questioned her.

"What are you?" His tone was untrusting and accusatory.

Bella sent him a glare.

"What are you?" Eleanor sent back, her voice dripping with disinterest.

She had asked Bella the night before - mainly interested in Jasper, but she had noticed the similarities between the adoptive siblings. She simply replied with a 'I can't tell you, it's not my secret to tell.'

The rest of the journey was in silence, Edward's annoyance of being in the dark obvious as he clenched the steering wheel. Once they pulled up, his mood worsened.

"Bella, if I asked you to stay in the car would you?"

Eleanor didn't care to listen to their conversation, so she hopped out of the car. Only to be followed by Bella and Edward. She smirked at Bella's independence - she was glad she hadn't lost it.

Parked in front of the school entrance was a dirt bike, a buff, tanned boy with dark spiky hair leaning on it. He watched them approach.

Eleanor sent a glance to Bella, as she stopped to talk to the boy. Her and Bella had first period together, so she waited off to the side.