Chapter 6

As you can see, my first year of being paralyzed had been awful. I was scared that it would continue for years. But, I was thankful enough to have someone like Austin to look after me.

After the incident with Rex, nothing bad happened to me anymore. I had lived peacefully with Austin and sometimes with my secretary.

Let's skip to the part just a year ago. Last year, on my twenty-eighth birthday.

--

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday..."

I giggled as I saw Austin in a dinosaur mascot and my secretary in a giraffe one.

"Happy Birthday to you!"

I blew the cake they were holding.

"Did you wish?" My secretary asked.

"No. I'm contented." I answered blissfully.

It had been seven years since the last time I felt unpleasant. For the past years, these two took good care of me. They never left me, so I didn't have anything to wish for.

I was aware that Austin gave up his residency in the hospital to be my full-time private nurse. So, he has to go back to his first-year residency again if he comes back.

When we were done eating, my secretary left first to attend a meeting at our company.

"Do you want to go somewhere?" Austin asked behind me while cleaning the table we used.

"Hmm... I can't think of any places. You decide."

I heard him cackled with laughter. "I can't think of any places, too." He said.

I looked at him. "That's why no one wanted to date you!"

"Hey! I'm just picky."

"Picky?" I dissolved into laughter.

He stopped scramming things in a drawer, then walked towards me.

He held my chin as he spoke. "Let's just get married. I'll take care of you as always."

This time I really cracked up!

He let go of my chin then went back doing stuff behind me.

"You're still doing it. Don't joke around, okay? Even my secretary thought we'll get married because you kept on doing that."

He had been saying things about marriage when I became twenty-five years old. As if I didn't know that he was just teasing me for not having a boyfriend for seven years!

"Who says I'm kidding? I kept on asking you to marry me, and I can't see anything wrong with that."

He sounded in earnest.

"Next time, I'll buy a ring, then ask you again."