Day 3 Soul Mates

A/N: Hey guys, LadyoftheBirds here! You're about to read my drabble of the Dec. 3 prompt: Soulmates. And guess what: I'm writing in first person!! Are you proud of me? The soulmates idea I used was based off my heritage so I really hope you enjoy!

Bug Out!

Have you ever heard of the tale of the red string? It's a Chinese legend basically seeing that there's an invisible red string tying you and your loved one together. It can get tied up and tangled, but it can never break. Well, maybe China was a bit more accurate than they had thought. When you turn 18, a red string ties around you, hooking you to your soulmate. It only breaks once you've found them. Marry your not-soulmate? Too bad, that string'll keep tugging for the rest of your life. While some will keep following the string till they find that certain someone, I gave up on it a while ago.

After a bit you get used to the constant pull of the string, like I have. I've grown a resistance to it. Sometimes, it feels like my soulmate is some bodybuilder due to how often the red string moves. One day, I was drinking some coffee at a shop, reading the newspaper. Because I was so used to it, I never noticed that for the first time in my life, it wasn't tugging as hard anymore. Putting down the paper, I examined my surroundings, still not alerted to the lessened pull. There was a girl with purple streaks drinking black coffee sitting with a blonde girl who dressed in all pink, there was a red-headed guy drawing seated next to a pink-haired skater, and a guy in a red cap listening to something on his headphones.

Maybe my reporter senses made me discover it, or maybe my eyes just darted to the right spot, but I could've sworn his red string was tied towards my direction. I mean, everyone else's were gone, most likely because of their respective partners at the table. Even the barista was happily freed from the burden of the string, making an order for another customer. As Cappy stood up, I quickly went back to looking aimlessly at the newspaper, hoping I didn't catch his eye.

Maybe he was distracted as well, but he tripped over his shoelaces and spilled his order all over my table.

"I am so sorry!" he apologized.

"No worries!" I quickly replied. "I'm Alya."

Looking back, I don't even know why I decided to introduce myself. But at least it was for the better.

"Nino." he laughed sheepishly. As he cleaned the table, his jaw dropped as both our strings faded away into nothingness. For the next several seconds, we blinked at each other.

"Your..."

"Alya Cesaire." I smiled. "I think it's about time we talk."