Chapter VI: Blind Chase

Some group of people rush to the powder room and made their way to the crime scene.

The siren from outside proclaims that they are medics and police but I don't care about them.

Carol's dead. What more can they offer?

"Who did this?! Can anyone tell me who did this?!" Cedric exclaimed at the top of his voice.

He was about to hold Carol on his arm and beg her to live but the police interrupt telling him that "This is a crime scene and must be preserved until we declare that we are through. We have our protocols."

"Crap!!! Damn the protocols! Let me in! Let me go! She's my bride! Let me!" he forced the police to let him.

I've never seen him this furious with tears on his eyes before. It's hard to believe that he batters Carol at this point. But he is a traitor, a good actor; what am I expecting?

Hold your heart still as steel, Albert.

What sympathy can you offer to a traitor? Nothing. Not a spare.

He deserve such pain and more if what he feels is a real one but I suppose that it's not.

I just look down and felt my teary eyes. It's hot and I can't help it from flowing.

If I just have the courage...

If I just had the deal with Stephanie...

If I just have been half a man...

...you might have live Carol!

You might have live with me!

We might have our happy ending!

But I'm not... we don't...

This might be a tragedy and not a fairytale.

"I'm sorry Carol." I whispered in regret.

Cedric heard me.

He looked my way and...

...he punched me!

"Bastard! How could you did this to Carol! Traitor!"

That time, a concern lady took Myrtle away from the violence.

I'm speechless. I don't even dare to move.

It is better if he will beat me to death now. At least, I can feel the pain of her lost less.

"Hit me again." I murmured with blood flowing at the corner of my mouth.

"Hit me again!" I repeated in a louder authoritarian manner.

This time, I'm looking straight to his eyes. "Hit me!!!"

He did as I said with all his rage.

He hit me so hard that I just found myself falling down the floor. I feel weightless and numb.

I don't care if my head is going to hit something at my fall. It is much better that way. I will not feel the grief of her loss on her burial.

Burial? What? What did I say? BURIAL! Right!

"Be there tomorrow or see your Carol the next day in her dress... BURIAL DRESS!!!"

I can recall now.

"STEPHANIE!!!" I shouted.

Cedric stopped. He was about to hit me again with his fist.

The policies broke us up and asked "Who are you and who's this Stephanie?"

Cedric stood on his feet and pointed his finger on me.

"He's Albert, the bastard murderer of my bride!"

He had the impulse of beating me once more but the crowd came in between to halt him.

I managed to stand on my feet even though with difficulty, wipe the blood on my cheek and said,

"Stephanie is our friend, at least before this whole thing happened. We are all childhood friends as our parents used to be. But after their parents died and came to much debt than they can handle, she went into this craze of marrying Cedric for his wealth."

"But as long as you don't have the evidences, it is still a plain wild accusation. Are you certain about all this thing young man?"

The chief of police replied with both doubt and belief.

"This may be taken against you."

He whispered to me out of concern.

Certainly, I was quiet out of my head that time but I'm sure of what I have said, of what I have accused so I just said,

"I understand. This is not a good place for this."

The chief turned his back to me and faced his men.

"Find that Stephanie and take this man with us." he commanded.

Few steps and he looked at Cedric.

"So as this man." he added.

He tried to stay by Carol's side and stopped the police from dragging him.

That moment, he seemed to be a child crying over spilt milk. He's much of a spoiled brat then, childish and immature.

As for me, I just had my last glance at her and leave with them in peace.

I walked with them as if I'm one of them for I know that this is the least I can do for her, to throw light on the twisted roads towards justice.

Justice is all I can give to her now.