Chapter X: The Break of Nightly Silence

"Aaahhh..." Myrtle broke the nightly silence.

She's wet with her own sweat and her heart is beating so fast when I reached her room.

"What happened? Are you having a nightmare again?" I hurriedly ask her recalling that she has been experiencing much of nightmares since that horrible murder of Carol.

I came closer to her, wiped away those drops of sweat and tears on her face and kissed her forehead, telling her that it will be alright.

"It's the same dream, Kuya! It keeps on repeating!" she exclaimed in voice of fear.

I handed her a glass of water. She drank some gulp that relaxed her but just a little.

"I've been worried by that dream for you, Myrtle. I think it would be better if you will tell me what that dream is. That might stop it from repeating night after night." I suggested, recalling the principles I learned from college after all these years.

She began narrating and told me:

I was seven-year-old there, in a party and I was with you.

There's a lady in white who hides her misery with smiles, an envious friend of her whose heart burns with dark flame, and lastly, a gentlemen with impure soul and dull heart that burns with violent red flame in white trousers and coat.

As you are fast asleep, I search your coat for the chocolate you wrapped with white for me. You said that it is on your right pocket before so I had it.

I was about to open it when the lady in white came running into the garden as if looking for someone to save her. She found you and me.

She rushed to me and was about to hug me when the gentleman in white came in to the scene. She is so afraid of him that she held my hands and took me with her to the mansion.

There, she found her chance to be on a room with me.

She talked to me. She said that she is very miserable because she can't marry the one she really love the most and marry a mad battering man instead. She told me that he is pure from outside and it all ends in there.

It almost drag her insane that she confessed that she will would rather hang herself than to refuse and have her parents killed or bound herself with the chain of melancholia for the rest of her life.

She broke my heart apart with every gentle drop of her tear. It is terrible!!! I cried for her when she sought a crying shoulder in me!

She took moments to cry all her misery out, and I was too childish for such that I opened up the wrapped bar of chocolate.

It is the best gift she may ever have for her nuptial tomorrow; it's in full package with me, a child in fullest innocence yet understands what is happening. It is the most precious ticket to paradise for a restless and troubled soul, DEATH.

That silver pocket knife dug a well of crimson water on the right side of her back and carved a smile on her face as she sweetly say 'Thank you, little angel.' to me, a young devil.

I left her from there and on my way back to where you are I saw the black-hearted lady.

I felt some sort of anger for her. So I raised your blade against her dull heart leaving nothing but two drops of the lady in white's blood on her dress.

Myrtle ended up her story that struck me dumbfounded.

"It's... It-s... It is what..." I uttered with trembling lips.

"Yes! It is what happened... nine years ago! I murdered the bride!"

She confessed to me with her tears of regret falling from her eyes.

I held her head against my chest and kissed her head, trying to stop her from crying.

"You're innocent! You're just seven then. Your age made you innocent. Don't be guilty. Don't cry now." I kept on telling her.

At last, she fell into the spell of nights lullaby and silently I left her lying on her bed of dreams.