one | first glance

Jisoo's POV

"Kim Jisoo-ssi stop staring at the window and keep stretching!" Madam BoA yells from across the room.

I completely dozed off, looking at the calm trees that are visible from the large window surrounding our dance studio.

"Yes, madam." I quickly spread the width of my legs, closing the distance from the ground, reaching as far as I can.

I stood up afterwards and standing on my pointe shoes alternating between each of my foot.

"Are you ready?" Madam asks me, leaning towards one of the ballet barre near the grand piano.

I stretch the remaining part of my limbs and nodded. Madam signalled the pianist to begin playing.

Claude Debussy – Claire de Lune

That was when I decided to let go. Let my worries, thoughts, and pain go. Right here at this moment, I am living. Nothing else mattered but the connection I had with the music who is now in full control of my body.

My feet swiftly moving in sync like raging waters of a waterfall, constant, vibrant, and full of energy.

Stretching my arms above my head in full control as leap and rise filling up the whole studio with my presence.

Strength and calmness from my center, showing impeccable discipline and mastery in the art of piqué manège.

I gracefully bowed ending the song with confidence assured that I had done better today than I did yesterday. 

"Jisoo your boureé still needs some work. I want to be able see you as if you're skimming the floor and floating." Madam critiques.

The private class went on for another hour, constant replay of the same steps over and over again until Madam was satisfied with my performance.

"Good work today Jisoo, but don't get too comfortable you still have a long way to go if you want to get into New York City Ballet"

"Ne Madam." I said bowing before she left with the pianist, leaving me behind all alone in the studio.

I quickly changed out of my pointe shoes and slid my leg warmers wrapping around my sore calves.

As I exited my class, I was greeted by my one and only friend, Rosé.

"Omg finally what took you so long!" She nags while holding my arm.

"I didn't know you were waiting for me, mianhe (sorry)" I replied.

Rosé is practically a sister I never had. We've been friends since we were kids due to our parents being high school friends. We practically did everything together, to the point we even went to the same university, Korea National University of Arts. I majored in dance, specifically ballet and Rosé majors in music.

After following Rosé's lead, we ended up in front my favourite food stand.

"My treat today!" Rosé beamed in excitement.

I raised my eyebrows in response. This girl is surprisingly acting suspicious I thought. She never pays for my food unless she needed something.

After receiving our food and  finding a table to eat, "okay spill it, what do you need?" I asked disinterested.

"Aish you caught me... Well you know my favourite local band BTS right..." Rosé starts.

I just nod while eating our chicken, my favourite.