II. The Mainland

I usually don't go to Keggers, especially not those on the mainland, but since I decided to make the most of this summer, I thought it would be worth trying. It would be a nice change from the Pogues and the Kooks for once and it was in the woods, it wasn't everyday I got to experience a party that wasn't on the beach. Also, I was excited to see a few of my friends from the mainland. Maybe for the first time, I could even hit it off with a boy, who didn't identify as a Pogue or a Kook.

    One of my shortcomings was that I was always indecisive to wear, especially when it came to parties. I admittingly had more clothes than I ever needed, but it never hurt to have more options for a night like this. Most of the time I took getting ready was spent picking through countless numbers of outfits I scattered across my bed.

    I decided to go with a black tube top and dark jeans, which I thought looked the best with my golden light skin. Like usual, my long dark hair fell right below my shoulders. Sometimes it bothered me that my hair was as naturally straight as it was, but in times like this I was grateful that I didn't have to do anything special to it. I made sure the outfit highlighted my long limbs and tiny waist, those defining features my mom always suggested could land me on the pages of a magnizine, even though I always protested that idea to death.

I was confident in myself and the way that I looked. But, something about the idea of other people scrutinizing the way that I looked made me uncomfortable. I grew up in an environment where everyone was always scrutinizing each other and the way they looked. If we weren't perfect someone would've pointed it out. In the Kook world there was no room to be anything other than perfect. This was just one of the countless other reasons why I hated being considered a part of that world. In the end we are all the same no matter how much money we have or how perfect we pretend to be. I don't want my life to be defined by what people think of me. It would be a nice change for once to hang out somewhere where no one knew much about me. 

-------------

Halfway though the party I was engulfed in the expensive scent of a mysterious dark haired, almond eyed friend I'd made at the party. His cologne smells natural, but strong, masking the smell of alcohol that doused us both.

  "Emerson." He whispered my name and our bodies moved in unison to the music. His hand gripping the side of my waist Whatever mix of alcohol I had in my system broke through my conscience enough for me to be grinding against someone I'd just met. His warm breath lingered around my ear for a moment, sending shivers down my spine. "You're so fucking gorgeous."

  I turned around to face him, my arms wrapping around his neck, our flimsy, drunk bodies moving in unison. The forest green shirt he was wearing looks fantastic against his dark skin tone. I was a sucker for a guy who knew how to dress.

  His hand shot to the back of my neck, aggressively pulling my lips to his to meet mine. The way he kissed me made me want to ditch the party before it was over. 

  I felt the heat begin to rise to my cheeks as our lips continued to messily crash against each other. His hand continued to squeeze my neck, causing my body to go absolutely haywire at the way his skin felt against mine.

  After a few moments, I pulled away. My mind and body are returning to the reality of the party and music surrounding us. "Do you want to get another drink?" I asked, my hand interlacing with his. I didn't wait for a response, I began pulling him towards the blinding lights.

  We made our way towards the house where we could get our hands on some for drinks. I was beginning to lose my buzz quickly, and I was absolutely determined to keep it strong. Maybe I could even get my hands on whatever was making my new friends eyes so small. I was determined to go anywhere but the Outer Banks.

  My buzz died a little when the music was cut and I was greeted by the voice of the same people that I was actively trying to avoid by coming to the mainland. "What's up slums?" The voice of Rafe Cameron, the eldest Cameron, echoed across the party. Behind him was the familiar faces of Sarah Cameron and Topper Thornton.

  I quickly released the strangers hand. "Go get us something to drink, I'm going to go over there." My determination to avoid them was stronger than my need to stay buzzed.

  Whatever his name was listened, making his way towards the house while I leaned against a tree stump out of view. Hoping no one could see me.

  For a few moments I closed my eyes, simply just enjoying the beat of the music that had just returned. Hoping that soon I could drown myself in more alcohol.

  My eyes flew open once more to a very interesting sight unfolding in front of me. "You're just a little prude aren't you." The voice of Rafe Cameron echoes over the hum of the speakers. Of course he'd come here and start at the scene. That was typical of Rafe, he was as entitled as they came in Figure Eight. I felt bad for whoever was on the  receiving end of his wrath. Rafe has some serious issues. They were only ignited even more with whatever mix of alcohol and drugs was in his system at the time. At nineteen, Rafe had already been a drop out and actively avoided attending his family's alma mater, Chapel Hill. Who knew what other problems he had created in his own life.

  "Get the fuck off of me Tooper. They should know. Little Miss perfect here? Yeah she finds enjoyment in leading guys on. That bitch should be bowing at our feet, but instead it's the other way around for some reason. She's just a prudish virgin who is too scared to open her legs and receive some real pleasure." He continued to scream at a girl standing a few inches away from him. A part of me was second hand embarrassed for her. There was a crowd of people forming around them. The Cameron family sure did know how to draw a crowd.

  The brunette's hand connected with Rafe's cheek, his face flying to the side from the impact. I couldn't help but let out an audible laugh seeing the eldest Cameron getting what was always coming to him. I was proud of whoever that girl was for standing up for herself.

  "You know nothing about me, Rafe Cameron. I've 'opened my legs' before, but never in a million years would I do that for you because you are not a man. You're just a scared little boy who hides behind his daddy's money and a line of-"

Her words were cut off by Rafe's hand wrapping around her throat. He looked like a complete psychopath.

  A part of me wanted to step forward to defend the girl, but I knew that would cause more problems for me than I needed tonight.

"Rafe, what the fuck?" Both Topper and Sarah shout in unison, trying to pry his hands away from the girl's neck. They took the thoughts right from my mind, "Get off her you psycho!"

   While Sarah kneeled next to the girl, placing the girl's head on her lap, Topper held Rafe back, dragging him away from the scene and into the crowd, probably getting out of her as fast as they arrived. Some people around me began to scream and head towards the exit.. While others screamed, "Call 911." 

  My body froze for a moment, unsure what to do next. One hand lingered on the hem of the pocket that contained my phone. I didn't know what to do, I think I might've been in shock. I knew Rafe was a psycho, but I never knew he was like this.

My eyes met with Sarah Cameron's for a moment as she looked around for help. I couldn't tell if she'd recognized me or not. She was so upset. I'd never seen her like this before, but I couldn't imagine the shock she was in from witnessing her brother choke someone who seemed to be her friend.

  "Come on, Emerson. We are not getting busted by the cops tonight." I felt a warm hand wrap around my elbow, pulling me towards the woods. It was the guy I was dancing with earlier, he seemed to have sobered up just as fast as I had.

Mystery guy pulled me through the woods. I couldn't even muster enough energy to ask him where we were going. I was still in shock about that scene that unfolded in front of me. I just hoped that the mainland girl was okay. The Outer Banks was crazy, but something about this situation told me that it was going to get a lot crazier. I had a feeling that whatever crazy shit went down with Rafe and that girl tonight was far from over.