VI. The Royal Merchant

The first thing I notice when I trudge down the stairs in the morning is the smell of burnt toast. It was unusual that someone was making food, especially this early. Typically, my family stuck to take out. So, it was very uncommon to smell food around this household. However, it wasn't uncommon to smell some type of burnt food whenever either of my parents attempted to cook.

I wrinkled my noise as I entered the kitchen, fully expecting to see my dad standing in the corner attempting to use the toaster since my mom was fully against carbs. To my surprise, my eyes locked with a pair of dark eyes belonging to my mother. It was sad to see her attempt to make a piece of toast, a simple task that most people should know how to do. I watch, slightly amused as the toaster shoots out her toast, completely burnt to a crisp.

Over the last few days, I have been able to hide my skepticism towards my parents. After visiting Lana, I wanted to know more than ever what was going on, but I didn't need my parents knowing that I was on to them. For now, I was going to put my immediate anger aside until I knew more about what was going on. I shouldn't accuse them of anything until I am certain they are involved in this.

"Hi." She said, with a soft smile. She takes her ruined toast and throws it in the trash. I couldn't see my mom being involved in any of this. She's the most compassionate and nurturing person. I could never picture someone like her telling those men to beat Lana Grubbs.

"Mom, why are you making toast?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at her. This was an interesting change from the keto diet she usually stuck to. 

  I distantly wonder when the last time my mom made food was while I grabbed some purple grapes from the fridge.

She raised her eyebrows at me, "I'm trying something new."   

     "Turning over a new leaf." I joked, pointing at the toaster sitting on the kitchen counter. "I didn't even know we owned that."

"My neither." She laughed. It was nice to see my mom so happy once again and it was

nice that things seemingly returned to normal between us. "Also, don't worry about taking Elise to the Cameron's today, I already did."

My eyes widened in shock. It was a strange sight to see my mom doing something other than working. Maybe she was starting to put more of an effort into spending time with Elise and I was more than okay with that.

"Thank you." I say just as I throw a grape into my mouth. "It'll be nice not to see the Cameron's for once."

My moms nodded in agreement. If anyone didn't like that family as much as I do, it was her. She especially didn't like Rose, Wheezie's mom and Sarah's and Rafe's stepmom. Even though they were around the same age, they couldn't have been more opposite in every way.

A beat of silence fell upon the kitchen. So, I break the awkward silence, "Okay, I'm going to go outside and paddle board."

"Bye, honey." She mutters before turning her attention back to the toaster.

      When I open the door, my eyes are immediately hit with the sunlight. It didn't take long for the sun to beat down against my skin. Even though it was only morning, it was already so hot outside. But, about ten yards in front of me, the sun was glistening off of the water. The weather had definitely recuperated from the storm because It looked so beautiful out today.

My paddle board was already set against our shed, denoting to the fact that someone must've used it after the storm. The most likely suspect was Elise since she was an avid paddle boarder herself.

When my feet hit the dock, I peeled my clothes off, revealing my favorite, purple and white tie-dye bikini. As soon as I'm ready I gently place my paddle board into the water. I try to balance my feet as much as possible so I don't accidentally end up in the water before I plan to.