XVI. People Are Strangers

No matter how many times I found myself waking up next to JJ Maybank, I hoped that I would always feel the way that I did now. It would be an understatement to say I was on cloud nine, but I truly felt different than I ever did before. I'd never felt this way about anyone before and I hope that this feeling would never end.

    I always knew that JJ and I had an emotional connection, but now we had a physical one as well. What happened between him and I last night was perfect. It was everything I wanted with him. I knew I wanted to be with him and now I knew he wanted to be together too. Even though our circumstances aren't perfect, the fact that I knew he'd be there for me no matter what.

    My naked body pressed against his warm, soft skin as my eyes fluttered open to be met with the sun beginning to rise on the island. There was a slight sound of the birds chirping outside, but other than that it was quiet here.

Soon enough I heard the sound of the sheets around us begin to move which was a clear sign that JJ had now woken up too. His arms dropped around my waist and began to pull me in to move closer to him. "Good morning." He whispered against my ear, his warm breath causing shivers to run down my spine.

"Morning." I said, shifting myself in his hold to face him. His bright blue eyes were now open and shining with the sunrise peeking through the window. It was nice that he seemed much happier than last night, that's really all I wanted was for him to be happy.

"As much as I want to stay in bed, we have to go see how John B is doing." He smiled before planting a small kiss on my lips. This one wasn't like the kisses we shared last night. It was soft and sweet. It was the type of kiss you gave to someone you knew you'd kiss again.

"Do you think Kie has any clothes here I can borrow?" I motioned towards my dress laying on the floor across the room. It was still probably wet from being in the rain last night. Hopefully, Kiara had a pair of spare clothes or I'd be forced to wear something of JJ's. Most of his clothes were cut offs which I  wouldn't have been caught dead wearing in public.

    "I'd much rather you don't wear anything at all." He laughed, pulling me on top of him and pinning my bare body against his. He planted another kiss on me, this time on the smalls of my neck. Which happened to be a sensitive spot that sent shivers down my spine just like with my ear.

"As tempting as that sounds, we should really go see John B. Remember him?" I giggled, trying not to think of all the things he and I could do if we stayed in bed for another hour. I planted a quick kiss on his neck in return.

"Yes, of course I do." He shook his head. He never would've admitted it, but I knew the boy was worried about his friend. I don't know what he would do if he actually lost John B. They've been best friends since third grade and they were each others rocks. Even if they weren't together those two would do anything for each other. They had the other's backs no matter what.

I lightly brushed my hand against the boy's face and turned him to face me once again. I continued to run my fingers gently across the bruises he got from his dad. He didn't tell me the details, but his dad must've picked him up from the police station and gave these to him before I saw him at Midsummers yesterday. I never wanted this to happen to him again. I would do anything to stop him from getting hurt. If there was any way to get him out of this situation I would do it. No one deserved to live like that, especially not him.

He was one of the strongest people I know. At sixteen, the boy has already experienced too much heartbreak and hurt compared to what some people don't experience in their lifetime. Yet, he still came around with a smile on his face everyday. Even when we were kids he always pretended like nothing was going on. If it wasn't for the bruises, people would've thought he would have just been another happy go lucky kid.