Chapter 11

Ricin
-noun-
Definition: A highly toxic protein obtained from the pressed seeds of the castor-oil plant.
Symptoms: difficulty breathing, fever, cough, nausea, and tightness in the chest
*kills usually within 36-72 hours
*no known antidote
———————————————————————————
3rd POV (triton)

Kills, that was the word the made Triton's breath hitch and caused bile to rise. 72 hours also caused an alarm bell to go off in the heirs head. Sirens ponded his skull and rung in his ears.

Three minutes prior Triton and his parents were just sitting in Percy's room. Finding a few ounces of comfort in being able to insure Percy was still breathing. Though the image was heartbreaking, Percy was pasty white with splashes of red doting his cheeks, there was a nasal cannula to aid Percy's shallow breaths, and sea green eyes were always covered by a drowsy veil.

The doors had bursted open revealing a distraught mermaid. She fixed her gaze on the doctor before swimming up to him and handing over the paper in her shaking hands.

The family had grown quite, watching the scene unfold. Taking note of how the doctors face seemed to fall the more he read and how the mermaid looked a bit more than a little panicked.

The doctor proceeded to deliver the news. Monotone  as he read off the test results as if the toddler's condition was as casual as the passing water temperature.

Ichor pumped loudly throughout Triton's body drowning out any other words the doctor had to offer.

Triton doesn't remember staggering out of the infirmary. He doesn't remember swimming to Percy's room. But all of the sudden he's got Percy's blanket in a death grip, and clutching onto it like it's going to solve this nightmare. Like this blanket alone is going to wash away the heartbreak that was currently tearing at Triton's flesh and taking apart his very soul.

Triton faintly acknowledges that the muffled choked breaths are his and that his vision is most definitely swimming. Hot tears break free and cut trails down tanned cheeks. His body feels shaky and panicked and Triton decides that he loathes this feeling of being out of control.

His breath was choppy and his heart still continued to pump ichor at an alarming rate. Triton buried his face into the blanket, hoping that this was all a warped dream. That he will wake up and everything will be fine and his little brother will no longer be on his deathbed.
———————————————————————————
3rd POV (amphitrite)

Amphitrite's world was burning to the ground right in front of her.

A beat after the doctor had finished talking, Amphitrite fell to her knees. Her body not being able to function properly and allow her to fully digest the new information at the same time.

Wrong

That was the only word her mind could conjure. The whole entire situation was simple wrong. Her baby was not suppose to be dyeing. Her baby was not suppose to be in pain. Her heart wasn't suppose to feel like it was bleeding.

For the first time in many years Amphitrite condemned the fates actions. Her mind ran wild coming up with a plethora of names to call the three hags. Because no good hearted being could take the fragile life string of a toddler and willingly weave in despair. Amphitrite wanted to scream from the roof tops about the injustice of life.

For three years the sea queen had silently been preparing for what the future of her baby might bring. And oh gods she would take monsters and Kronos any day over this. At least then Percy would have a fighting chance but you can't exactly stab a poison away. You can't exactly block a sicknesses strike with a simple shield.

Hope was slipping falling right out of Amphitrite's hands. The queen continued to tumble down the hill of despair as her thoughts kept swirling. Until, a small movement brought her attention back to the ill prince.

At first when Amphitrite looked at the toddler she felt heartbroken. But the longer she looked at Percy the hope started to stand still, no longer flowing out in rivers. Instead she felt something else stir that she couldn't name. It wasn't hope parse more like determination.

If the fates wanted to try and pull Percy away from his family, well let's just say Amphitrite wasn't going to go down without a fight.
———————————————————————————
3rd POV (poseidon)

Poseidon stood there. He didn't fall or run or weep, he simply stood there. Like a statue in the center of the room, he duly noted how his wife collapsed and how his Triton had fled.

The kings brain felt like it was filled with static. He could see the doctors mouth moving and that amphitrite was crying yet he heard none of it. He could see his clenched hands and how his fingernails made half moon cuts but no sting followed.

Poseidon was stuck in this weird numbed mode. He stared at the wall watching a crack become more pronounced while trying to ignore his own shattering reality.

Anger sparked, starting in his chest, it ran down his arms and pricked his finger tips, it washed down his legs and stumbled over his toes.

It clouded his mind.

Poseidon marched out the door taking powerful steps (not really but we won't tell him his legs were shaking). The sea king blinked back tears and refused to let them fall, because tears weren't going to fix his son therefore they held no purpose to him.

The throne room, that was Poseidon's destination. The king flung the doors open walking to the center of the room before he slammed the butt of his trident into the sea floor three times, the meeting code. Within seconds of the thundering sound generals flanked the room all dead silent as they observed the state of their king.

Delphin swam up, taking cation as if he was approaching a scared animal. Because overprotective Poseidon was the scariest Poseidon.
——————————————————————————-
a/n let me just say that you guys are all so so sweet. I'm sorry i haven't updated in awhile i just could not seem to make up my mind on what i wanted to happen in this chapter. hopefully it won't take me as long for the next update and if you have any ideas for what you want to see in future chapters let me know. And of course tell me what you think of this chapter.