Chapter 51: Observing and Preparing

Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or The Last Airbender.

Bodyguard of Azula

Chapter 51: Observing and Preparing

"Talking"

"Thinking"

"Bijū/spirit talking"

"Bijū/spirit thinking"

(Location: Team Kakashi)

Sasuke and Kakashi stood alongside the wall behind Koyuki while Sakura and Sai kept watch at the door. The meeting room was a surprisingly small, circular room. The walls and the ceiling were made of dark stone. There were windows up near the ceiling, circling the room. The table in the middle of the room was rectangular and also made of stone. Five chairs, with high backs, lined the two opposing sides of the table, with the chair of the Fire Daimyo seated at one end between them.

The Daimyo was actually sitting in said chair, fanning himself to keep cool. It was the only thing he practically did. On one side sat his advisors, garbed in black robes and tall hats. On the other side sat Koyuki, Miki, and Jiraiya. Both sides were actively talking about the trade agreement. "Lady Koyuki, may I bring your attention to item 5 in the agreement?" The senior advisor asked her. While there were five advisors there, only the most senior advisor was to talk openly, the rest were there to quietly debate and argue over things.

"The proposition of bringing railroads and by proxy, trains into the Land of Fire?" She asked, looking at the item on her copy of the trade agreement.

"Yes. We have yet to decide on where the stations for these trains will be built."

"Well obviously, one such station will be built here in the capital of the Land of Fire." She told them, reaching for a map that lay on the table and tapped her finger on where the capital was. "If we were to make straight line from the capital of the Land of Spring to the capital of the Land of Fire, we would have to make several stops along in order for the trains to refuel."

"We see no problem with that." He told her as he looked at the map as well. "But there will be additional costs if we are to do a straight line between the two capitals."

"What kind of additional costs?" Miki asked as she looked at the map.

"If we were to build a line that went straight from both capitals, there would be costs in the clearing of forests, tunneling through mountains and the constructions of bridges to cross rivers and streams." He explained. "And there is also the possibility of other nations and by extensions, other shinobi attempting to sabotage the entire operation."

"The possible sabotage would simple to fix." Jiraiya commented, turning everyone's attention to him. "Just employ shinobi to guard the railroad crews. Depending on the mission ranking, more experienced shinobi will be used."

"What do you mean by 'depending on the mission ranking', Lord Jiraiya?"

"Well, there will probably more than one spot where the crews would be working at, and some would probably be more dangerous than others. Depending on the amount of danger the crews would be in at a certain location, the more experienced or the more shinobi will be placed at each location."

"I see your point, Lord Jiraiya." The advisor admitted. "On a side note, would Konoha be interested in having a station being built? It would certainly bring you more customers."

He shook his head. "Tsunade and I talked it over before we came here. Even though the railroads would likely be built throughout the Land of Fire, Konoha would like to be kept away from them."