Chapter 3

Matthew (but with green eyes instead of blue)^

Hadley's POV

Beep beep! My alarm went off at 6:30 in the morning, reminding me to get up for school.

I groaned and tapped the stop button on my phone, turning off my phone alarm. I flipped back my covers and slid out of bed, quickly getting dressed and applying a little bit of mascara. I'm not someone who uses a lot of makeup, but a little mascara never hurt anyone.

Finally ready, I grabbed my backpack and went downstairs, following the smell of my mom's delicious snickerdoodle cookies. She must have to work tonight if she's making the cookies this early.

"Hey, mom!" I said, jumping that last two steps and walking into the kitchen.

"Hey, sweetie. You father already left, and I have to leave in about an hour for work. I have a bag on the table with a couple cookies that I want you to give to Maisie for me. There is also a pop tart there as well for you to have for your breakfast since you need to leave in five minutes." She bent down, opened the oven, and pulled out another pan of freshly baked cookies.

"Okay, thanks." I grabbed the bag and pop tarts and tucked them into my backpack. I glanced around and saw a stack of cooled off cookies. I inconspicuously shuffled over, quickly snatched one and putting it behind my back. Unfortunately, my mom turned around right as I had grabbed it. So I did the only natural thing: I ran.

"Hadley Anise! You had better put that cookie back right now, young lady!" My mom called after me.

"Love you too!" I shouted back as I sprinted out of the house and to my car, quickly unlocking it, sliding in, and driving off before my mom could come after me to take back the now half-eaten cookie.

When I arrive at school, I parked next to Maisie's car and walked inside the building, looking around for my best friend.

"Maisie!" I called out, spotting her by her locker.

She looked and grinned. "Hadley! How's it going?"

"Eh. It's going okay. Oh! I almost forgot I have something for you." I slipped my backpack off of my shoulders and unzipped it, pulling out the small bag of two cookies. "My mom made them this morning and told me to give them to you."

Maisie squealed and pumped her fists, quickly grabbing the treats from me. "Yas!"

"Let's go to class, drama queen," I said, rolling my eyes at her antics, and together we walked arm-in-arm to our history class.

Maisie and I walked into class and sat in two chairs that were against the wall opposite the door.

There were still a couple minutes left before the bell rang when Matthew walked in with another boy who stood around what I guessed was 5' 10". Matthew looked around and, spotting Maisie and me, walked over and sat behind us.

"Hey. It's Maisie and Hadley, right?" Matthew asked.

"Yah," I replied. "And your Matthew, correct? What's your name?" I looked over at Matthew's friend. He had black hair and sky-blue eyes.

Why are all of these guys so tall? I thought irritated, but I made sure not to show it.

"I'm Nathan," he said.

"Nice to meet you, Nathan. I'm Hadley."

"And I'm Maisie," my best friend said, surprisingly not blushing by Matthew being so close. When Maisie gets a crush, she typically gets tongue tied and nervous. It's only happened once before, but then the guy started hitting on other girls, and then Maisie changed her mind

"Nice to meet you two."

Just then, the bell rang and the teacher walked in, signaling the start of class.

It happened that Maisie and I had most of our classes with Matthew and Nathan, so we all became close throughout the day. When the bell finally rang after our last class, we all grabbed our bags to leave. Maisie and I walked out before the two boys, so we waited outside the classroom. When the boys walked out, they had their heads lowered and were whispering and glancing around. When they saw us, they immediately stopped talking.

"Hey, guys," I greeted. "What were you two whispering about?" They both turned red.

"Uh, nothing," they said in unison.

Maisie and I laughed. "Uh huh. So then why the red faces?" Maisie asked, smirking.

Matthew gulped. "Uh, Maisie, could I talk to you alone for a minute?"

Maisie narrowed her eyes at him. "Um, sure. What do you want to talk about?"

I rolled my eyes. "Come on, Nathan. They need to be left alone."

Nathan grinned and winked at Matthew, who glared at him. "Yup. Coming." With that, Nathan and I walked outside and waited for the two to finish talking.

Nathan turned to me. "Hadley, can I ask you something?"

I shrugged. "Sure. What's up?"

"Well, I was wondering if you, uh," he paused.

"If I what?" I tilted my head questioningly.

Nathan took a deep breath. "Would you go on a date with me? I know we don't know each other that well, but..." he trailed off when he saw me smiling.

"I'd love to."

"Really?" he asked, completely shocked that I had actually said yes.

I laughed. "Yah. Really. Name the day and time."

Nathan grinned. "Would tonight at six work?"

"Sounds good."

"What's your address? I am going to pick you up, you know," he said, raising an eyebrow as I opened it to ask why he needed it.

"I guess an address is important," I conceded.

"Yah." Nathan was practically beaming.

Just then, Maisie and Matthew walked out, both grinning and laughing. When my best friend saw me, she somehow grinned wider.

"Hey, Matt. Hadley and I have some things to do before tonight, so I will see you at 5," Maisie said.

Matt? I thought to myself. Since when did Maisie call Matthew Matt? What on earth did they talk about. I shrugged. I would find out one way or another.

"Yah, okay. I'll be waiting." Matthew grinned.

With that, Maisie and I said our goodbyes to the boys, headed to our cars, then drove back to my home.