Chapter 11

Hadley's POV

When the bell finally rang at the end of the day, I shoved my books in my bag and rolled out of the room, stopping outside of the room to wait for Maisie, Nathan, and Matthew, since we all had the last class together. When they walked out of the classroom, we headed to the lockers, grabbed our things, and went out to the cars. A sly grin slipped onto my face when I glanced over and saw Maisie and Matthew holding hands. I could tell Maisie was blushing a bit, but I bit my lip to refrain from teasing her about it. For now, at least.

When we finally got to the cars, Maisie and I said goodbye to the boys and got into Maisie's car as the boys got into theirs.

"So," I started as soon as Maisie settled in the driver's seat, "when did the handholding start? At the date? Or just today?"

Maisie blushed. "It sot of started at the date, but really started yesterday when Matt asked me to be his girlfriend."

"Is he going to ask your dad or mine for dating permission? Or is he not going to ask either?"

"Um, he asked about that, and I told him to ask yours since I'm closer to your dad than mine." I heard the bitterness in her voice. With her dad being gone most of the time, I wasn't surprised that she had told Matt to ask my dad rather than hers.

"Well, he gets the scarier option to ask, but since he's already met my dad, that should take some of the worry off," I told her. Maisie laughed.

Soon enough we arrived back to my house and Maisie was helping me out of the car. We got into the house to see my mom and dad both in the living room.

"Hey, you two! How was school?" My dad asked.

"Good except that Carter tried to ask me out again," I grumbled. "Can you get a restraining order for him? I'm really tired of him asking me."

My dad smirked at me, knowing I was only half joking. "I wish, but unfortunately being annoying isn't good enough grounds for a restraint order. There's no strings I can pull either."

I sighed. "Oh well. Maybe you can just kick his butt sometime next week. Anyway, Maisie has some exciting news for you both." I suppressed a smile as Maisie glared at me.

Both of my parents looked at her. "What news?" my mom finally asked, breaking Maisie's glare from me.

"Well," Maisie started, "Matt asked me to be his girlfriend and I said yes. He said he was going to come over later today and ask you. Is that okay?"

My dad and mom looked at each other and then back at Maisie. My dad cleared his throat. "He seems like a nice guy, so that's fine with me, but if he breaks your heart, I get first dibs to hurt him back."

Maisie grinned., looking very relieved. "Sure, but maybe don't put it exactly like that when he asks you? I don't want to scare him too much right off the bat."

My dad smiled back at her. "Sounds like a deal."

Maisie sigh in relief. "Anyway, I should probably get back to my house. I'm supposed to clean my room before my parents get home tonight, and it's going to require a lot of cleaning since it's a big mess right now." She bent down and gave me a hug before slipping outside and into her car, driving away quickly.

"I guess I should go get some school done," I said, mostly to myself.

My mom looked at me with a nervous smile. "Dinner's in an hour and a half because your father and I are planning a night out since we haven't had a one in a very long time. Will you be okay by yourself? If you don't feel comfortable with it, we totally understand and can try for a different night, especially with tonight being only your second night back home."

I chuckled a bit. "I'll be fine. I can look after myself. Besides, the next time you both have a night off at the same time could be in months! You both deserve a night out. I promise I'll call you if I need anything. And if I can't reach you, I can easily call Maisie," I reassured them.

My mom bit her lip. "If you're sure."

I nodded. "I should probably go do some homework. All of the profs gave extra homework since it's the weekend and they must think that we have no life outside of school." I rolled my eyes.

My dad looked at me. "Sounds about right. It's like they know you or something."

"Dad!" I gasped incredulously. "I have a social life! Just because I'm always around when you are doesn't mean-" I stopped when I saw him smirking at me. I frowned playfully. "Ugh! Why do I always take the bait? Anyway, I should get going. I've got some schoolwork." I turned around and wheeled to my room.

As soon as I got to my room I grabbed my pillow and buried my face into it, releasing a dry, hacking cough into it that I had been holding in for a while. I was really hoping that my parents didn't hear. I didn't want them to worry about me while they were on their date night. When I finally finished hacking, I let go of the pillow and took a deep breath in. Now I just had to make sure not to cough in front of my parents. They really needed this night to themselves.