Chapter 4

When we got home fifteen minutes later, we parked in front of the garage, got out, then walked to the house.

"So, what did Matt want to talk to you about?" I asked, glancing at her.

Maisie blushed. "He asked me if I would go on a date with him, and I said yes."

"Maisie, that great! Where are you two going? What are you going to wear?" I asked in rapid fire.

"Wow, Hadley. Chill." However, Maisie was blushing so hard she looked like a tomato. "I don't know where we're going. He wanted it to be a surprise. Do you have something for me to wear and stuff? Or should I go home and grab something?"

"I have stuff." I smirked. "I guess we'll just have to get ready together then."

Maisie nodded then snapped her head to look at me. "What?" She asked, a smile spreading across her face. "Did Nathan ask you out?"

I nodded my head, trying to suppress a grin. "Yah. I don't know whether I want my dad to know before the date and end up giving Nathan the 'dad talk' or wait and see if we get more serious."

"It depends if your dad's home or at work, I suppose."

I bit my lip. "True. Warning though: he'll probably give the 'dad talk' to Matthew too. Anyway, I'll meet you back at my house."

Maisie nodded, grinning, then we both got into our cars and drove back to my house.

---Line break---

After I pulled my car up to the garage and saw my dad's car already parked inside.

I parked the car and stepped out. I haven't ever been on a date since Carter basically scared all of the boys away saying that I was his and anyone who tried to woo me would have to face his wrath. I blew a strand of hair away from my face and prepared myself to tell my dad about my date tonight.

"I'm home!" I called, hoping my dad was within earshot.

"I'm here, too!" Maisie shouted from behind me, scaring me and causing me to shriek.

"Maisie!" I scolded, removing my hand from where I had slapped it on my chest

She grinned innocently. "What?"

"Why would you do that? You scared me!"

"Do what?"

I glared at her. "You know what you did."

"Huh. I'm afraid I'm having short term memory loss," Maisie replied, shrugging and trying to keep up the innocent act.

"What did Maisie do this time?" My dad walked in from the living room.

I whirled around to face him. "She scared me, and you both know I hate being scared!"

My dad shared a conspiratorial smirk with Maisie. "Huh. Pretty sure she didn't scare you. You were just being unaware of your surroundings." He laughed at my face of disbelief and betrayal.

"So, is there any reason you seem to be oblivious?" My dad asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Uh..." I glanced at Maisie, who shrugged, basically saying that I have to be the one to tell my overprotective cop father than I have a date with a boy. I swallowed. "Maisie and I have dates tonight." I wasn't sure why I was so nervous. Probably because I wasn't sure how he would react.

My dad raised both of his eyebrows in surprise. "So someone finally got the nerve to ask you out?" Then he narrowed his eyes. "You're not going on a date with Carter, right?"

I gagged and Maisie broke out laughing. "What? Ew! No! Gross!"

My dad relaxed. "Good. Now, who're the lucky guys and what are their names?

Maisie and I blushed in unison. "They're two guys we met today and we all really hit it off. Their names are Matthew and Nathan. Matthew asked Maisie, and Nathan asked me."

"You know I'm going to have to give the mandatory 'dad' talk to both of them, right?" my dad told us. "Guess I should practice since this will be my first time."

"Oh goodness. They are in so much trouble." I sighed. Poor boys. Hopefully my dad doesn't scare them too bad, I thought. "Anyway, Maisie and I should go get ready. We need to make sure that we don't have to go shopping." With that, I grabbed Maisie's hand and pulled her behind me to my room.

When we got to my room, I shut the door behind us and gave a sigh of relief. Hopefully my dad wouldn't scare away the only boy who has ever asked me out. Well, besides Carter, but he hardly counts.

My room was pretty simple as I wasn't huge into decorating. The room itself was painted a soft lavender. There was a twin bed parallel to the door and pressed against the opposite wall. There was a short but long bookshelf that was filled to the brim with books beside my bed so that I could easily access the books. On top the shelf were pictures of me with my parents and a couple with Maisie and me goofing off. In the back-left corner of my room was my desk that I did all of my schoolwork on. was my walk-in closet, which was stuffed- yet somehow managing to be organized- with all of my clothes and shoes and accessories.

"Now. Let's get ready for our dates!" I grinned at Maisie, and she grinned back.

A/N Sorry for the lack of excitement, but I wanted the date to be in one chapter and somehow this one got long. The date will be in the next chapter!