8. Love Me By Now

The bar was loud and rowdy for a Thursday night. It was understandable that the weekend was fast approaching and nights like these were a temporary escape from reality.

Sean sat at the bar staring into his drink wondering how much more he had to drink to forget what he had experienced minutes earlier.

The expected numbness was taking longer than it should. He could still see the tears in her beautiful brown eyes as the rain continued to pour down on the two individuals that were standing in the middle of the sidewalk.

He dragged a hand through his damp hair glaring harder at the glass before lifting it to his lips and dunking the whole thing. The alcohol caused a burning sensation that slid slowing down his throat.

A sigh escaped his lips as he slammed the glass back onto the bar. He pushed his hands again through his damp hair, eyes glazed over. He then brought his hands over his face as he felt the urge the scream.

How could this even be possible? She couldn’t possibly? How though?

A million thoughts ran through his mind as the events from earlier came back to mind.

The clouds above were getting darker showing signs of an incoming storm as the sun began to fade behind them. The whole gang was getting back together for the first time in 7 months as their busy schedules had taken them all over the world. It was finally one of the rear opportunities where everyone was in the same city at the same time.

They planned on getting a couple of drinks and catching up on each other’s lives. Everyone was so excited to see each other.

Kaycee locked the front door to her apartment, double checking the locks before heading towards the elevator to her building. Sean was waiting downstairs for her as he was the designated driver for the evening.

Kaycee planned on forgetting that night. She planned to forget the baggage she was carrying around. As the elevator reached the lobby, she shook her head to get rid of her drowning thoughts.

Tonight is supposed to be fun, she reminded herself.

Exiting the building, she spotted Sean right away. He was looking down at his phone smiling whilst he leaned against his car.

Why did he always look that good? she thought. Pushing her thoughts aside, she made her way over to him, her footsteps catching his attention.

He then looked up and smiled at her. “Wow Kayc, you look amazing” he said.

“Thanks. Let’s go?”

“Yeah. Come on” he said as he opened the car door for her.

The drive was very short but nonetheless filled with laughter, loud off key singing and inside jokes. 

When they finally arrived at the bar, it was clear that the place was bound to get busier as the night went on. People were scattered across the premises, clearly all sober, some on their phones calling their friends to get there, others  making booty calls, others trying to make their orders known as they planned to get extremely wasted for the night.

A loud burst of laughter caught the attention of the pair that had just entered the door. A large smile graced her lips as Kaycee as recognized the laughter from across the room.

As they made their way over, Kaycee could see Josh flapping his hands around, clearly the story teller, as the people around him continued their laughter.

“Kaycee!” came as shout of excitement from the group. She was suddenly caught for guard as a weight rocketed at her making her suddenly feel a little winded.