Eighteen

It's cold and dark

It's cold and dark. That's the first thing Julian realizes. The second is that he's lying on the ground. Sitting up, he notices he is in some abandoned warehouse and it's raining. Guess that explains why my hair is wet.

His throat is sore, and he's undeniably thirsty. Like he's been in the desert for weeks without water. Like just one sip would satisfy his craving.

Suddenly, a figure lands in front of him. Julian jumps and tries to scoot back, but a hand latches onto the collar of his hoodie and keeps him still. Lifting his head, Julian gasps as he stares into blood red eyes.

The boy, probably a year or so older, smirks at Julian. "I'm Riley. Welcome to the club."

"Wh-what club?" Julian stammers. "Where am I? What happened to me?"

Riley yanks Julian to his feet with surprising strength and drags him to a broken window. "See for yourself."

Julian wishes he was dreaming. That this whole thing was a horrible nightmare and he would wake up in his bed safe and sound and totally normal. But somehow he knows this isn't a dream, that the person staring back at him is actually himself, that his eyes are no longer hazel, but now resemble the color of blood. Just like Riley.

"What's wrong with me?"

There's a swoosh sound before a woman appears next to Riley. Her eyes are the same as Riley's, her hair like fire. "Is this him?" Her voice is soft, a contrast to the frown her lips are set in. Riley nods and wraps an arm around her waist. The woman raises a hand and sets it on Julian's cheek. "Perfect. You're going to be so useful."

Julian slaps her hand away. "Will one of you tell me what the hell is wrong with me?" Riley hisses and moves to launch at Julian, but the woman stops him.

"We helped you, Julian. We gave you a new life, a better life. You're a vampire now." She bares her teeth for effect, showcasing her fangs. Julian doesn't question any more. Somehow, her explanation seems true, that he really is a bloodsucking creature. "We chose you for a reason. You are going to help us."

"Help you with what?"

"Destroying the Cullens."

Julian furrows his brows. The Cullens? What do they have to do with this? "Why would I help you?"

Riley steps closer with arms crossed. Damn, why is he so intimidating? "Because we know about your little friend, the one who lives next door to that Swan girl. If you don't help us, we'll kill her."

~~~~~~~

The choice wasn't hard. Julian would do anything to keep Caroline safe, she's his best friend. The person he goes to when he's sad. The person who helped him overcome his fear of bicycles.

They've never told anyone, but they were each other's first kiss. Julian was getting teased for being the only eighth grade boy who hadn't kissed anyone. Caroline hadn't kissed anyone either. She was the one to suggest they steal each other's first kiss. They loved one another, and they trusted each other with every fiber in their being. So, when Caroline came to his house - like she did every Friday after school - the pair snuck off to Julian's treehouse. They were incredibly nervous, and Julian almost backed out. But then Caroline leaned forward and pressed her lips to his.

The kiss only lasted a few seconds, but it meant the world to both thirteen year olds.

Neither ever developed a crush on the other. They thought about it briefly towards the end of freshman year, but realized they could never work out romantically.

Julian sighs as the memory flashes through his mind. If only I was with Caroline and my friends. But no, I took a trip to Seattle and now I'm a vampire.

Julian went to Seattle for one reason: to buy a gift for Jessica and Caroline. Their birthdays fall a day apart; Caroline a day older than his girlfriend. Man, he missed her, too. They had just started dating and now he won't ever see her again.

He had already bought the presents: a beautiful matching necklace and bracelet for Jessica and the new Harry Potter film for Caroline.

Julian had just put the bags in the back seat when it happened. A breeze blew pass him. His hand erupted in flames. He remembers the keys falling to the ground as his knees buckled. He ended up passing out due to the pain. And when he woke he was in the abandoned warehouse.

"There needs to be a new plague, there's too many people on this earth." Julian shakes his head as he hears the voice. Dani. She's here. And if she's here, so are his other friends.

Julian lifts his head just enough to see. Sure enough, his friends sit at table not too far away. They came looking for me. He smiles at the thought, but immediately shakes his head. No, they shouldn't be here.

Maybe this is my second chance. Maybe I can protect them from what's coming. He knows Victoria is near the outlet mall, searching for her next victim.

Julian spots a man in a suit six tables away, a pen in his jacket pocket. Julian quickly swipes it and grabs a napkin. He writes down a short message. Caroline will understand. She'll know what to do.

When his friends stand to leave, Julian flashes ahead of them. He purposely bumps shoulders with Caroline, taking the chance to slip the napkin into her hoodie pocket. He disappears before Caroline can turn around.

Victoria doesn't look at Julian when he joins her side. The pair stand on the roof of the parking garage. Down below, a crane is surrounded by police cars, pulling something out of the water. Julian keeps his face blank while he watches the crane set his Jeep down. He tries to show no emotion when Caroline cries out.

"Good." Victoria speaks up. "Maybe now they'll stop looking for you."

Please, don't.