Thirty Seven

There's no laughter

There's no laughter. Not even when a pile of snow falls from the tree branch and onto Quil's head. Everyone is talking, but no one is joyful. Not when the battle is merely hours away.

I had finally received a message from Alice yesterday. She and Jasper found someone who could help and are on their way back. They hope to return before things get too messy and violent. That sent a chill down my spine, but I shouldn't be surprised. From the stories I've heard, the Volturi are ruthless to those who deny or defy them. We've done neither, but Aro believes we have. And he won't let us go without a fight.

Leah is already in her tent. She, Seth, Jacob, and the three new shifters from Jacob's pack have joined us for tonight. Dr. Cullen said it will smarter for us to arrive separately, said it might make our side seem more intimidating and powerful.

Paul sits next to me, having a conversation with Brady and Jared about Pokémon. I was listening earlier, but gave up after having no clue as to what they were talking about.

Instead I sit and close my eyes. Reaching out for Cyhiraeth is second nature at this point and she appears almost instantly, the natural world fading away. "You've done well, little banshee. I am impressed."

"This will work, won't it? Tell me this will work, that we win." I plead.

Cyhiraeth tsks and wags a finger at me. "I am afraid I can not tell you the outcome of tomorrow's events. But I will tell you your efforts were not in vain. The gathering of the witnesses helps, and many lives are saved because they are here." My face falls at her words, but she continues before I can open my mouth. "Now is not the time for this. Go, prepare for tomorrow. Do not worry about what I have told you and things will go accordingly." She reaches out to touch my cheek, the coldness of her hand causing me to shiver. She smiles before fading away, the natural world returning around me.

When I open my eyes, I find Sam staring my away from across the fire. He quirks a brow and I shake my head in return.

"Alright everyone!" Sam claps his hands to gain everyone's attention. "Before we turn in for the night, I want to say something. I don't know what will happen tomorrow, but I do know one thing. You - all of you - are strong, courageous men and women. I'm proud, and I know the ancestors are as well. Whatever happens tomorrow, we do it together." A few of the boys let out encouraging whoops before everyone slowly makes their way to their respective tents.

Later, when the light from the fire has died out and Paul and I are snuggled in our tent, he whispers into my ear. "Marry me." I raise my head to look at him, my breath catching on my throat. "It doesn't have to be soon, it could be years from now for all I care, just say you will. Say you'll marry me, say you'll be mine."

I stare into his eyes and there's no doubt, there's no hesitation. All I see is love and passion and wanting. He wants this. He wants me. Forever. And I want him, too. I press my lips to his, smiling as I kiss him. "Yes." I breathe out when we pull away. "I will marry you; anytime, anywhere."

~~~~~~~

My hands shake as I stand between Paul and Seth, anxiously waiting for Dr. Cullen's signal. To try and distract myself, I clutch the hem of my coat in my fingers. Something nudges my arm softly. I try my best to smile down at Paul but I know it doesn't reach my eyes.

A low whistle sounds and I can feel my heart tighten in my chest. It's time.

A sea of red and black stands before us. The Volturi and their witnesses. Three men walk slightly in front of everyone else. They must be the kings. I don't miss the way their eyes narrow when they glance at the pack, or the way one of their lips twitches when they glance at me.

The one in the middle looks around our group with questioning eyes. "Aro's looking for Alice." I hear Edward say to Isabella.

The Volturi stop yards away from us, but close enough so we can still hear one another. "Aro, let us discuss things as we used to; in a civilized manner." Dr. Cullen breaks the silence.

"Fair words, Carlisle." Aro says his name in a bitter tone. "But a little out of place given the battalion you've assembled against us."

"I can promise you, that was never my intent. No laws have been broken."

One of the other kings scoffs in response. "We see the child. Do not treat us as fools!"

Dr. Cullen steps a few paces forwards, turning his attention to the witnesses behind the Volturi. "She is not an immortal! These witnesses can attest to that. Or you can look, see the flush of human blood in her cheeks."

Aro squints his eyes at Dr. Cullen. "I will collect every facet of the truth. But from someone more central to the story." His lips quirk up into a haunting smirk. "Edward, as the child clings to your newborn mate, I assume you are involved." It's silent as we watch Edward cross to the kings, placing his hands in Aro. Rosalie had told me about this once. Aro can see all of your memories from just a single touch. When the king releases Edward, there's a sort of creepy fascination look in his eyes. "I'd like to meet her."

Isabella walks forward, Renesmee holding onto her hand. When she glances my way over her shoulder, I follow, Emmett and Jacob tagging along. We reach Edward and Aro, who lets out a hysterical laugh as he stares down at Renesmee.

Renesmee reaches her hand out and places it on his cheek, his blood red eyes glazing over. "Magnifico!" He breathes out when she pulls her hand back to her side. We return to our side, me standing between Esme and Paul now. "Half mortal, half immortal. Conceived and carried by this immortal while she was still human."

"Impossible!" One of the kings shouts angrily.

Aro glares at him. "Do you think they fooled me, brother?" The brother shrinks under fierce gaze. "Bring the informer forward!" Two guards drag out Irina, who stares apologetically at her sisters. "Is that the child you saw?"

"I'm not sure." Irina shakes her head. "She's changed. This child is bigger. The Cullens are innocent. I take full responsibility for my mistake." She sends a smile to her sisters. "I'm sorry."

Before any of us can react, the blonde haired king lights a torch while one of the guards snaps Irina's head off. Kate and Tanya's screams are loud and painful to hear. Zafrina uses her ability to blind them, Garret wrapping his arms around Kate to keep her still.

It takes a while to calm them, remind them they risk their lives as well as ours if they even try to attack.

"Aro, you see there's no law broken here." Dr. Cullen says.

"Agreed." Aro nods his head before letting an innocent pout form onto his lips. "But does it then follow that there is no danger? For the first time in our history, humans pose a threat to our kind. Their modern technology has given birth to weapons that could destroy us." Son of a bitch, Alice and Jasper need to get here. Now. "Maintaining our secret has never been more imperative. In such perilous times, only the known is safe. Only the known is tolerable. And we know nothing of what this child will become. Can we live with such uncertainty? Spare ourselves a fight today, only to die tomorrow."

Aro freezes, cocking his head to the side to listen more carefully. "Alice." Edward breathes out with a small smile.

Alice and Jasper make their way towards the Volturi, some of the guards preventing them form getting too close. "I have evidence the child won't be a risk to our kind. Let me show you."

Aro beckons her forward, taking her hands in his. We all hold our breathes as we wait.

Alice suddenly tears her hands away, glaring with disgust at the king. "It doesn't matter what I show you. Even when you see, you still won't change your decision!" She turns and locks eyes with Isabella. "Now!"

Oof the battle is upon us now