chapter 4. drinking fish

"So, that's it. That's how we met," Zalia states. Candy and Rielle stare at her, speechless from what felt like watching an entire season of a murder mystery show.

After a few moments, Candy regains her composure first, shaking her head. "Damn. We were pretty irrelevant, huh? More like the side characters there for comedic relief."

"Yeah," Rielle agrees, pouting. "I felt like I was just there to fill up lines."

Zalia stares at them incredulously. "I just described the case of the infamous Lady Killer to you both in enough detail to write an entire story, and that's what you say?"

Immediately, Candy and Rielle attack Zalia with a flurry of constructive criticism.

"I don't know. Could've been steamier."

"And the fight scene just didn't hit hard enough. A lot of talking."

"And more focus time on the comedic relief, please."

"I agree. You over-described your breakdowns, and let me tell you... you had a lot of them."

"And maybe—"

"Alright!" Zalia interrupts, raising her hands as if to physically stop the words coming from their mouths. "I'll fix those things next time I retell my murder mystery love story to my two best friends," she says sarcastically.

"We're doing this again? Hell yes," Candy grins, fist bumping Rielle.

Before Zalia can fire back an irritated response, a notification from her phone rings, disrupting the dream-like atmosphere of the jacuzzi. While Candy and Rielle continue planning the next time they'll all break into the pool of a fancy hotel, Zalia reads over the text.

Today 8:17 PM

food's ready babe ;))))

Immediately after Zalia relays Sorin's message to the two of them, they spring up from the water and rush for their clothes and the towels, hunger getting the best of them. As they rush back inside before their food can get cold, Rielle asks about the whereabouts of Yasmine, Teresa, and Vi.

"Oh, Yasmine and Teresa are on a vacation to Greece together," Zalia explains. The two of them did invite her and Sorin, but since they were going to Greece both for the attractions and for the island of Lesbos, she had decided to reject their offer and allow them to have their fun alone. "And Vi's doing well. Still single."

Zalia and Rielle swing their heads to look at Candy.

"What?" Candy quickly looks away, a light tint dusting her cheeks.

"You know what. You should talk to him!" Rielle encourages enthusiastically, bouncing on her toes. "Didn't you say you two were thinking about getting together?"

"That was when we thought long distance would work," Candy grumbles dejectedly. "I'm moving to Italy soon anyways, so it won't even matter."

"You're moving?!" Zalia questions in shock.

"When?" Rielle asks excitedly. "You know, I know a few people there who could help you out with illegally—"

"Rielle," Zalia interrupts slowly, patting her arm.

"We don't need to know." Candy shakes her head.

Soon, they arrive at the very double doors they had left through earlier. Pushing them open, the dark blue washes over the trio like a shadow, masking them as they over to table 3. All eyes are focused upon the stage, a spotlight glaring brightly down upon Natalie.