flashback 2. bathroom hideout

T I M E - 2013

L O C A T I O N - Golden Gala, Lichester Hotel

"Violet, I have something to tell you," Zalia burst out, looking at her best friend nervously.

The two were sitting on the couch in the bathroom together, scrolling through their phones and waiting for the speeches to be over. Zalia was somewhat glad that the event was for the rich, as that meant high quality bathrooms that don't stink to hide in. However, since it was for the rich, that also meant that she couldn't invite Candy, Rielle, or Yasmine to entertain her. Nonetheless, she had Violet, her childhood friend from all of the elite social events she and her family attended, and that was enough for her.

"Yeah?" Violet asked absentmindedly, still scrolling through her phone.

Zalia took a deep breath, preparing herself to deliver the news, and quickly rushed the words out. ""I don't think I'm going to inherit my mom's company."

Zalia had realized something while waiting for speeches to end; she was tired of always waiting: for the events to be done, for meetings she was forced to attend to be finished, for a future in the fashion industry that she didn't even want. She was ready to quit being on the rich side of society.

"What? Are you serious?" Violet asked, looking up at Zalia in shock.

"Yes. I've finally finished medical school, and I'm ready to become what I really want to be: a forensic pathologist," Zalia stated, determination evident.

"You've finished med school already?! What the hell?" Violet asked in surprise. "We started at the same time, and I've barely just begun!"

"Yeah. It's a long story, but apparently I'm a prodigy. So now, I just have to shadow a pathologist for a few years and then I'm done," Zalia shrugged.

Once they graduated high school, Rielle had left for Britain and Candy for Australia, leaving Zalia alone in LA. After earning a degree in just two years at UCLA, she eventually pursued her dream and went to medical school, where for some reason, it all seemed to be a breeze for her even though her fellow classmates were struggling on no sleep and full days of studying and coffee. She got tested (half because of her parents' connections Zalia had to admit, but half because the head of her school was curious of her potential), and passed all licensing exams after one year.

"So, you're not attending any prestigious events anymore?" Violet asked.

"Nope," Zalia answered, sighing. Truthfully, she was entirely finished with dressing up, pretending to actually like interacting with the other stuck-up, snobbish adults there, and discussing her future fashion business she wasn't even going to inherit. "I'm moving entirely away from this lifestyle. I became friends with this girl, Yasmine, while I was working a part-time job to save for an apartment, and we agreed to room together so rent would be less of a burden on each of us."

"You're leaving me to the grips of the vicious heiresses?" Violet said overdramatically, placing a hand on her heart. "How dare you!"

"They can be hard to deal with," Zalia agreed, shuddering at all the times they asked for the brand of her dress and snickered less than discreetly. "But you can always go to the bathroom and just call me for the whole event, okay?"

"Promise?" Violet narrowed her eyes, holding out a pinky.

Zalia smiled, wrapping her pinky around Violet's. "Promise."

here, we have some insight! yes, zalia comes from an ultra rich fam, but she's always strayed away from that side of society and life

here, we have some insight! yes, zalia comes from an ultra rich fam, but she's always strayed away from that side of society and life. i mean, she begged her parents to let her go to a private school instead of being homeschooled.

anyways, i don't actually know how private school works. public schools i do know, and they are weird as hell but very amusing

recommendation of the chapter: go watch dickinson (using illegal websites LOL). it's my third favorite show ever (the concept's amazing, if only the execution was a little bit better)

ty ly