Introduction

What would you say if I walked up to you on the street and asked you "What's your opinion on the Federal Bureau of Investigation?" You might ask me what I'm talking about

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

     What would you say if I walked up to you on the street and asked you "What's your opinion on the Federal Bureau of Investigation?" You might ask me what I'm talking about. The FBI is a more known acronym for the bureau. Some would say that it's just another branch of law enforcement designed to keep people safe. A history buff might say that J. Edgar Hoover was the first director and Teddy Roosevelt was one of the founders. A third person might say that some of the great actors have played FBI agents. Such as Samuel L. Jackson and Tom Cruise. But not a lot of people actually know what the FBI do. After spending a few weeks with these extraordinary people I still don't fully know what it is they do. The BAU also known as the Behavioral Analysis Unit is where I spent my time.

     "Ashley."

     "Hm?" She asked barely looking up from her computer from the news article she was writing.

     "The boss wants to see you."

     "Alright. Thanks." She sighed, glancing at her co-worker with a small smile. Ashley saved her article and shut her computer down before going to her editor's office.

     She glanced at her face as she passed some of the office windows. Wavy golden-brown hair and gray eyes looked back at her. Her gray eyes were more prominent by her dark blue eyeshadow and her red lips. With a shake of her head she strode to her boss' office.

     Before she entered she ensured her dark blue pencil skirt and black button up shirt were straight. She hurriedly knocked on the door knowing she had already taken too much time.

     "Come in."

     Ashley opened the door and peeked her head in. "You asked to see me?"

     "Sit." Her boss said nodding at the chair in front of her.

     Ashley gulped wondering if she was in trouble for something. As far as she was concerned she had everything in place and completed her latest article quickly and had already sent it in before the publishers had even asked for it. She walked in and sat across from her editor.

     "Have I done something wrong, ma'am?"

     She was shot a strict irritable look.

     "Leila." Ashley quickly corrected herself.

     Despite Leila's strict looking demeanor with black pulled back hair, she gave Ashley a lot of leeway for writing. She insisted on everyone calling her by her first name due to the strict upbringing she had despised. Although she was often rigid about certain aspects of the job, on others she was lenient. She was upfront about everything. All in all Leila and Ashley had an excellent working relationship. Ashley looked up to her as a mentor.

    "No, your last piece of writing was perfect." Leila smiled. Her brown eyes were unreadable behind her pointed glasses.

     Ashley leaned back in the chair growing more comfortable, "Then what can I help you with?" She questioned ready to do as her boss asked.

     Leila took off her glasses and leaned forward, placing her forearms on the desk. "The FBI and the Washington Post have been attempting to collaborate so that our readers can get an inside look at what the bureau does. Although there will be conditions involving this, I would like for you to be the one to write this article. You are the most adept to understand the article and therefore to write it."

     Ashley nodded slowly, fiddling with her sapphire necklace. "I would be honored to take this assignment. When do I start?"

     "Tomorrow morning at 6." Leila replied.

     "And the conditions?"

     "For the safety of the agents you will be working with, and for the safety of their families, their names will remain anonymous. Your article will also be published anonymously, again for your own safety, however you'll receive the necessary time off and credit for this project within the company. The unit you will be working with is referred to as the BAU."

      "The BAU?"

     "Behavioral Analysis Unit." Leila elaborated. "They profile and examine serial killers across the country. Should they receive a case you'll have to stay out of the field and have an agent with you at all times. I already forwarded the necessary paperwork to your e-mail." 

     Ashley stood. "I'll complete it immediately and bring a copy back to you before clocking out today."

     Leila nodded finally leaning back in her chair and placed her glasses back on her nose. "Please do." She stated dismissing the other woman silently.

     Ashley smiled to herself as she retreated from the office. This was a big article and she was determined to nail it.

     Back in her cubicle the paperwork was completed within thirty minutes. She had read over the terms and agreements three times hoping she didn't miss anything. She printed and signed everything before sending a copy to the bureau, Leila, and herself.

     With everything finished she clocked out and gathered her things. Her black blazer hung over her arm as she rushed down the steps of the office towards her apartment. Her black purse swung from her shoulder and her heels clicked as she walked. She would need to pack a bag in case something were to come up and she had to leave with the BAU team.